Need training? Have questions?
Contact Melanie Miller at 969-5056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does a web steward do?
- Update web pages regularly so the public will have the most current information.
- Update staff directory.
- Use SiteImprove to find bad links and spelling errors.
CaPA will set up accounts for new web stewards and email you your login and password. Log in to the content management system (CMS) at www.townofchapelhill.org/admin. If you don’t remember your password, click on the "Forgot your password? link and you'll get an email with a link to reset your password.
For step-by-step instructions in how to use each component, see the User Guide under the Help menu. To set up a training session with CaPA, contact Melanie at 5056 or email@example.com.
We can have Vision Internet set up shortcuts to make it easier to publicize specific pages. If you need a shortcut created, contact CaPA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The URL for shortcuts is www.townofchapelhill.org/shortcut. DO NOT use townofchapelhill.org/shortcut.
To link to a document, use the "Document Manager" icon. To link to any page in www.townofchapelhill.org, use the Internal Links dropdown menu. To link to outside sites or to add a link to a calendar item, news release, or staff directory item, click on the "Hyperlink Manager" icon and type or paste in the URL (make sure to delete the "http://" first if you're pasting in the URL).
To add links to calendar items, news releases, or staff directory items, log out of Vision Internet or use a different browser to copy the link, then insert the link on your page using the Hyperlink Manager tool. Links copied when you're logged in will not work for the public.
To copy the URL to a document that's not linked on a page, find the document in the Document Center in the CMS window, click on "Review" and switch to the preview window. You can copy the link on the Document File Name line (right-click on the link and click on "Copy Shortcut" or "Copy Link Location," depending on which browser you're using).
Keep your files in the document center and image library organized! If multiple people are going to use your department’s documents and images, coordinate with them so you have an organization that works for everyone, and you don’t have multiple copies of the same documents. Use descriptive titles that everyone can understand.
If you want to upload a new version of a document and the old one is no longer needed, click “Update” on the Action Menu to replace the old document instead of uploading a new document and re-linking.
If you are linking to a document that is part of a Council or meeting agenda, link to the original document that's attached to the agenda instead of uploading another copy. If you have to post the document before the agenda goes up, re-link it to the agenda attachment when that is posted.
There should not be more than one version of a document in the Document Center. The department responsible for maintaining the document should put it on the web. If you have problems with that process, talk to CaPA.
If a document is linked to a page, you will not be able to delete that document. From the Action Menu for that document, click on "Review" to see where the document is being used. After you delete any links to that document and publish the pages, you can delete the document.
If a meeting has been cancelled or rescheduled, do not delete the calendar item. Add a note to the end the name of the meeting (e.g., "Planning Board—RESCHEDULED TO MAY 2" or "Planning Board—CANCELLED").
Check “Display on Home Page” for calendar items.
If a calendar item was created as part of a recurring series, it can’t be used to start another recurring series. You will need to copy that calendar item and use the copy to start the next series.
Calendar items, news releases and RFPs can be sent out to subscribers through the enotification component. To have an item sent by enotification, check the "Notify" box and it will be added to the enotification queue.
Fee schedules pages are updated by Business Management after the Council approves the budget each year. Please contact Brandon Howell with questions about fee schedule pages.
CaPA can assist in creating a form or survey. Results can be individual emails or reports.
SiteImprove checks for broken links, spelling errors, and accessibility issues. www.siteimprove.com
Login: department email
Password: first part of department email (except HRD --the password is HRD). Example: for Public Works, the login is email@example.com and the password is publicworks.
- Click on “Show All” to see all of the pages with broken links. Look for pages that belong to your department.
- To view the errors on the page, click on the icon with the number under “Show errors.” If you don’t see an error on the page, it’s in the HTML. That means it’s probably a bad link in the menu. Click “Highlight in HTML” to see the errors.
- You can either find the spelling errors and correct them on your web pages or add them to a list for someone else to make the corrections.
- Pages with Misspellings: Click on “Show error” to see the error on the actual page. Right-click on the word for suggestions and other actions.
- Or click on the number under “Misspellings” to see a list of the errors on that page. If the suggested spelling is okay, click the suggested word. This will add the word to the list of corrections to be made.
- Don’t add words to the dictionary unless they’re personal names that you’re sure are spelled correctly. If you want to have other words added to the dictionary, let CaPA know and we’ll add them to the dictionary.The same goes for “ignore words on all pages.”
- You can: add words to the “unwanted list,” or “ignore words on this page.”