Emergency Management Coordinators
Town of Chapel Hill
How to Stay Connected with Us
There are many ways to stay connected with the Town of Chapel Hill especially during emergencies like Hurricane Florcence.
May we help you? Contact us at Communications and Public Affairs at 919-968-2743 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapel Hill eNews
If you're not signed up for OC Alerts--a fully-customizable emergency alert service--you can do so or check your preferences at member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/login.
Local Alerts on Facebook
We are testing local alerts with our Facebook at www.facebook.com/chapelhillgov Local alerts are a new indicator we can apply to a post's title to communicate urgent information. Users may receive a notification about the local alert as well.
Good Neighbor Liaisons
The Town of Chapel Hill is looking for residents who would like to share and exchange information between the Town and residents in their neighborhoods and homeowners associations. Registered participants will receive emails from the Town to share with their neighbors. https://www.townofchapelhill.org/residents/neighborhood-liaison-form
Orange County Text Notifications
Orange County Government wants to keep you informed even if the power goes out! Text OCStorm to 888-777 to receive text notifications from @OCNCGOV and Orange County Emergency Services during Hurricane Florence. Standard text and data rates may apply.
UNC Department of Public Safety Adverse Weather Transportation and Parking Information
Orange County is responsible for establishing emergency shelters due to extreme weather and power outages. For more information, visit orangecountync.gov/departments/emergency_services/disaster_emergency_preparedness.Utilities
- Duke Energy Carolinas
Report a power outage: 1-800-PowerOn (English) or 1-866-4-APAGON (Spanish).
- Piedmont Electric
pemc.org or 800-222-3107
- PSNC Energy
psncenergy.com or 877-776-2427
919-968-4421 or owasa.org or email@example.com
Chapel Hill Transit
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 919-9627-8211 or chccs.k12.nc.us or twitter.com/chccs
- Orange County Schools: 919-732-8126 or orangecountyfirst.com or twitter.com/OrangeCoSchools
Resources in Orange County
- Chapel Hill: 919-968-2743 or townofchapelhill.org or twitter.com/chapelhillgov
- Carrboro: 919-942-8541 or townofcarrboro.org or twitter.com/carrborotowngov
- Hillsborough: 919-732-1270 or hillsboroughnc.gov or twitter.com/HillsboroughGov
- Orange County Emergency Services: 919-245-6100 or during emergencies 919-245-6111
readyorange.org and twitter.com/ocncemergency
- Orange County Health Department: 919-245-2400 or orangecountync.gov/health or twitter.com/OrangeHealthNC
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 919-962-2211 or unc.edu or 843-1234 (Weather Hotline) or alertcarolina.unc.edu
American Red Cross
State and National Resources
- Ready North Carolina: readync.org
- OR in Spanish: readync.org en espanol
- National Weather Service: http://www.weather.gov/
What is a State of Emergency?
Do you live in a floodplain?
If you live in a floodplain or an area that floods, purchase flood insurance! Homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage. There is a 30-day waiting period from the time an insurance policy is purchased to when it actually goes into effect. Renters can purchase affordable flood insurance for personal contents only. For more information and cost, contact your insurance agent or go to floodsmart.gov.