113 Parkridge Ave,
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Term of Service
Hongbin Gu was elected to the Town Council in 2017. Dr. Gu is a faculty member at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine. She received a Ph.D. in mathematical psychology and a master’s degree in statistics from UNC-Chapel Hill. She is an active researcher in autism and child developmental delays.
Dr. Gu served on the Town of Chapel Hill Environmental Stewardship Advisory Board before being elected to the Town Council. She has volunteered for Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools in its PTA, School Improvement Teams, and advisory boards. She is the former principal and current board chair of the Chinese School at Chapel Hill. She is the organizer of the community culture event LIGHTUP.
Dr. Gu has been a Chapel Hill resident for more than 20 years. She lives with her husband Dr. Xiaofei Wang, two daughters, Rose and Iris, and two cats. She enjoys yoga, hiking and swimming in her spare time.
- Council Committee on Affordable Housing
- Council Committee on Economic Sustainability
- Environmental Stewardship Advisory Board
- Firefighters’ Relief Fund
- Planning Commission
- Transportation and Connectivity Advisory Board
The primary mission of the Mayor and Council, as the governing body of the Town is to adopt and provide for the execution of ordinances, rules and regulations as may be necessary or appropriate to protect health, life or property, or to promote the comfort, convenience, security, good order, better government, or the general welfare of the Town and its citizens.
The Mayor and eight Council Members constitute the governing body of the Town. In accordance with the Town’s Charter, the voters elect a Mayor every two years. Council Members are elected to four-year, staggered terms on an at-large basis. Town Council duties include:
- Amendment of previously adopted policies through changes in the Town Code of Ordinances and the Development Ordinance, and by revision of policies and documents.
- Appointment of advisory boards, commissions, task forces and committees.
- Appointment of the Town Manager and Town Attorney.
- Establishment of agreements with other governments.