The Town Council seeks to attract persons from diverse backgrounds to serve on the Town’s boards and commissions. The Town Council believes that childcare and transportation can sometimes be barriers to service on boards and commissions for many qualified and interested Town residents.
The Town Council included resources in the FY2018-19 budget adopted on June 13, 2018 to fund a pilot project for providing childcare and/or transportation assistance for qualifying board and commission members as a way to increase diversity among those who serve.
Timeline for Roll Out
- CaPA sends an email to board and commission members and staff liaisons outlining the parameters of the pilot program for childcare and transportation assistance. Board members can begin requesting assistance immediately.
Parameters of Pilot Program
- Assistance is limited and is intended for those who truly need it. If the cost of childcare and/or transportation is a genuine barrier to a person’s participation on a board or commission, the Town may be able to help.
- Board or commission members may qualify for assistance upon submitting the Reimbursement Form to the staff liaison indicating their need for assistance.
- Staff Liaison (specific to board or committee) will coordinate with CaPA Advisory Board Support at email@example.com for processing.
- For childcare assistance, the Town will provide a stipend equal to the living wage ($13.70 per hour) for each hour of the meeting, plus one half hour ($6.85) to cover the time it takes to get to and from the meeting.
- Requests for childcare and/or transportation assistance must be made at least one day before the board or commission meeting.
- Staff will work with board members requesting transportation assistance to determine the most appropriate option between transit and other transportation services.
- Neither advances nor retroactive requests will be considered.
- There is no guarantee that funding will be available all year.
- Staff liaisons will notify CaPA as soon as a request for childcare or transportation assistance has been made.Within one day of the meeting, staff liaisons will let CaPA know how long the meeting lasted.
- CaPA will submit a check request to Business Management Department (BMD) within one day of a stipend request, including two copies of the Reimbursement Form from the board member with an explanation of payment. One copy of the Reimbursement Form will remain with BMD; the second copy of the Reimbursement Form will be sent to the board member along with the stipend.