On October 24, 2018, the Chapel Hill Town Council resolved to create the Varsity Theatre Task Force. The Task Force is co-chaired by Council Members Michael Parker and Rachel Schaevitz with staff support from Susan Brown (Executive Director of Community Arts & Culture), Ross Tompkins (Assistant to the Town Manager), and Sarah Poulton (Downtown Special Projects Manager).
Task Force Charge
Consider the possible use of the Varsity Theatre at 123 East Franklin Street as a community performing arts center. In addition, the Task Force is charged with determining:
- What would be the vision for such a venue? What types of programming would be appropriate and desired by our community?
- How would such a venue meet community needs, reflect community values, and attract a wide range of individuals to the Downtown and what would be the economic impact on the Downtown?
- What would be the costs of this conversion for both acquisition and necessary refurbishment – and how long would it require? How would these costs be paid for and what kinds of partnership(s) might be feasible?
The Task Force will meet monthly with its first meeting on Monday, December 17, 2018. Agendas and meeting minutes can be found at the links below to the Town Calendar:
January 28, 2019:
- Arts Mean Business - Americans for the Arts Report - coming soon
- Orange County Arts Commission Report - coming soon
- International Downtown Association (IDA) Report on Downtown Chapel Hill
- Town of Chapel Hill Community Arts Master Plan
- Town of Chapel Hill Community Arts & Culture Business Plan
December 17, 2018:
More information about the Varsity Theatre Task Force and a list of committee members can be found on the Council boards and commissions webpage.