Ordinance Established Stormwater Management Utility in 2004
Twelve years following the initial discussions and studies of how the Town could best meet its stormwater management needs, the Council, on June 14, 2004, adopted an ordinance establishing a Stormwater Management Utility. See the Code of Ordinances, Chapter 23.
The Mission and Roles of the Stormwater Management Program describes the overall mission of stormwater management in Chapel Hill, as well as the stakeholders and their roles in the implementation of a Stormwater Utility.
The Program Priorities summarizes priorities developed by the Town's Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee in 2001 and earlier, with finalized recommendations from the Policy Review Committee of 2003.
Resolution Adopting Stormwater Management Utility Ordinance - June 14, 2004
On June 14, 2004, the Town Council enacted an ordinance to establish a Stormwater Management Utility, set an equivalent rate unit fee for impervious surface area, and provided for the appointment of a Stormwater Management Utility Advisory Board. At this meeting, an interlocal agreement was approved for Orange County to issue bills for the stormwater fee with their annual property tax bills. Details of the agreement can be found in the attachment.
Continuing Discussion of Stormwater Utility - May 12, 2004
This report documents the continuing discussion of the Stormwater Utility, with adjusted budget estimates and other details.
- Attachment 1: April 26, 2004 Council Meeting Agenda (below)
- Attachment 2: Excerpt Sections of Draft Stormwater Utility Ordinance
- Attachment 3: Summary of Issues Raised at April 24, 2004 Town Council Meeting
Stormwater Management Program Funding Analysis: Cost of Service and Rate Analysis - May 2004
This report prepared by AMEC Earth and Environmental describes the different levels of service a stormwater utility could provide for the Town, estimated costs for these services, and provides an analysis of utility fee rates based on different levels of service.
Recommended Program and Budget for Proposed Stormwater Management Utility - April 26, 2004
This report was presented to Town council on April 26, 2004. It provides a summary of the manager's utility-based stormwater management program, a first year operating budget, a draft ordinance, summary and responses to comments from the March 24, 2004 Town Council meeting, and further Advisory Board recommendations. The summary of the manager's recommended program is a more refined version of the last one presented. Property-specific information including amounts of impervious surface and calculated Equivalent Rate Units (ERUs) based on these recommendations can be accessed through this report or searched directly.
- Attachment 1: Portion of Draft Ordinance
- Attachment 2: Draft 2004-2005 Utility Budget
- Attachment 3: Planning Board Recommendations
- Attachment 4: Reimbursable Costs for Utility Development
- Attachment 5: Billable Costs to the Enterprise Fund
- Attachment 6: Equivalent Rate Unit (ERU) Tabulation
- Attachment 7: Estimated Year One Office Lease Costs
- Attachment 8: Summary of Questions and Comments from March 24, 2004 Meeting
- Attachment 9: Citizen's Email Correspondence
Information on Proposed Stormwater Management Utility - March 24, 2004
This report was presented to Council to provide further information on the proposed stormwater utility, as well as the Manager's recommendations. It includes background and discussion and the Manager's recommendations for an alternative program with key elements, master plan description, proposed year one activities, stormwater management services, costs, and funding including a rate analysis and billing and collections recommendations. Past reports to the council and background information on the utility referenced are listed in other sections of this webpage.
- Memorandum: Information on Proposed Stormwater Management Utility
- Attachment 1: Draft Ordinance establishing the stormwater management utility and Advisory Board
- Attachment 2: Planning Board Comments and Recommendations
- Attachment 3: Consultant's Planned Program Report
- Attachment 4: Reimbursable costs for the utility development
- Attachment 5: Billable costs to the enterprise fund
- Attachment 6: Equivalent Rate Unit (ERU) Tabulation
- Attachment 7: Estimated year one office lease space costs
- Attachment 8: Summary of Questions and staff comments from the February 16 Public Forum
- Attachment 9: Citizens' email correspondence
Public Forum on the Potential Establishment of a Town Stormwater Utility - February 16, 2004
This is the report presented by the Stormwater Utility Policy Review Committee and Town staff at the February 16 Public Forum:
- Memorandum: Public Forum on the Potential Establishment of a Town Stormwater Utility.
- Attachment 1: Consultants Comprehensive Report on Implementation of a Utility-based Stormwater Management Program (3-ring binder).
- Attachment 2: Stormwater Utility Policy Review Committee Summary of Recommendations (p. 2-1).
- Attachment 3: Draft Stormwater Utility Ordinance (p. 3-1).
- Attachment 4: Progress Report on Potential Development of a Town Stormwater Utility (presented at 2/28/04 Council work session) (p.4-1).
- Revised Recommendations for Development of a Stormwater Utility to Serve the Town of Chapel Hill, NC
- Town of Chapel Hill Stormwater Utility Implementation
- Stormwater Utility Public Education and Involvement
- Letter from University regarding the proposed Stormwater Utility
- Attachment 5: Excerpt from Town Comprehensive Plan, Section 9F (p. 5-1).
- Attachment 6: Year One Budget Estimate for Proposed Utility-based Program (p. 6-1).
- Attachment 7: Estimate of New Stormwater Management Resources and Costs in 2004-05 if Utility is Not Implemented (p. 7-1).
- Attachment 8: Council Member Harrison's Comments Concerning the University (p. 8-1).
Stormwater Utility Status Report - November 24, 2003
The Stormwater Utility Policy Review Committee presented a status report of the committee's work, including the final version of the mission statement, stakeholder roles, and program priorities. They also presented a Utility Program Elements Report.
Minutes of the Policy Review Committee Meetings
- Meeting #5, September 9, 2003
- Meeting #4, August 12, 2003
- Meeting #3, July 8, 2003
- Meeting #2, June 10, 2003
- Meeting #1, April 23, 2003
Stormwater Utility Pro Forma Business Plan-2002 (2MB)
In 2002, AMEC Earth and Environmental presented to the Council a draft pro forma business plan that outlines the key elements of a proposed stormwater utility and a recommended process for utility development and implementation. This document covers issues such as what a stormwater utility does, organizational structure, and how revenue is generated and collected.
Engineering Department Staff Report - September 18, 2002
Engineering Staff presented Options for Town Stormwater Management Standards which outlined three alternative sets of standards for the proposed stormwater program, as well as implications and impacts of each standard.
Stormwater Utility - February 11, 2002 Report
This is the Town Manager's response to the final recommendations of the Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee which led to the creation of an Inter-jurisdictional Stormwater Work Group which in turn existed prior the currently-active Stormwater Utility Policy Review Committee.
- Memorandum: Manager's Follow-up Report on Recommendations of the Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee
- Attachment 1: Final Report of the Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee
- Attachment 2: Appendix A: Southern Orange County Stormwater Management Program Analysis
- Attachment 3: Summary: Needs and Opportunities for Comprehensive Stormwater Management in southern Orange County
Final Report of the Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee - November 26, 2001
These are the final recommendations of the Stormwater Utility Development and Implementation Study Committee as presented to the Town Council.
Town of Chapel Hill Stormwater Management Alternatives-2001
This report was created in 2001 by graduate students in the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Department of City and Regional Planning as part of a workshop course. It contains three sub-reports analyzing Town activities relevant to stormwater management:
- Executive Summary
- Stormwater Capital Improvements Management Report (4MB)
- Impervious Surfaces / Best Management Practices Report (4MB)
- Stream Buffer / Resource Conservation District Report (3.7MB)
Stormwater Utility Technical Review Committee - 1999 Report
In 1999 a report was presented to the Town Council concerning the feasibility of establishing a stormwater utility in Chapel Hill. It explored the general issues of stormwater utilities and laid out a plan for further evaluation of stormwater management issues.
Stormwater Management Committee Final Report - 1994
In 1994 the Town Council received the final report from the Stormwater Management Committee. The committee's task was to determine what stormwater services the Town should be providing to citizens of Chapel Hill. This report explored stormwater issues in Chapel Hill and recommended actions for the Town to take to manage stormwater and mitigate detrimental impacts on water quality and quantity.