The mission of Community Arts & Culture is to inspire creativity and celebrate community for a better Chapel Hill. This division of the Town is advised by the Chapel Hill Cultural Arts Commission, an 11-member volunteer board established in 1992 and appointed by the Town Council.
Community Arts & Culture administers many programs and projects in Chapel Hill. These include the Percent for Art Program, established by a 2002 Ordinance, which allocates one percent of selected capital projects for the creation and maintenance of works of public art. Funding for the Percent for Art projects comes from each project’s construction budget. Other public art programs include the Art + Transit, a collaborative effort to bring public art to public transit, and the Juried Exhibitions Series which showcases artwork by established and emerging artists at Chapel Hill Town Hall and the Chapel Hill Public Library. To learn more about these programs, please visit our Programs pages.
Outdoor Events - Planning and Permits
Community celebrations and special events contribute to a vibrant and inclusive community – and they have an impact on residents, businesses, visitors, and the community at large.
If you are considering an outdoor event, please use this information to ensure it is safe, compliant, and successful.
Events on Town-owned Property, Public Streets, or Public Rights of Way
- Require a Special Event Permit; in order to receive a permit, organizers must submit an Outdoor Special Event Application including a:
- Site Map proposing event layout/route
- Certificate of Insurance
- Emergency Action Plan
- May be subject to facility rental, inspection, and/or additional fees
- May require an application for some or all of these supplemental permits:
- Facility Rental Application
- Chapel Hill Police Department Application for Parade/Run
- Lane or Street Closure Application
- Application for Events in or Near Parking Lots
- Chapel Hill Fire Department Tent Permit Application
- Chapel Hill Fire Department Application for Pyrotechnic Display
- Application for Noise Permit to Exceed Sound Limits
- Vending at Special Event Form
- Orange County Health Department Street Festival Application Packet
Events on Private Property
- May require a permit.
- Large events may require a zoning compliance permit. Please contact the Town of Chapel Hill Development Services at 919-969-5066.
- Large events may require an Outdoor Special Event Application. Please contact CA&C at email@example.com.
- Street or sidewalk closures may require an Outdoor Special Event Application.
Community Arts & Culture works with many artists and arts organizations in the Chapel Hill - Carrboro area, throughout the region and across the country. We invite you to join our email newsletter list to receive exhibition announcements and calls to artists based on your preferences and to follow us on Facebook.