Latinos are the fastest growing minority in North Carolina. The Town of Chapel Hill and surrounding areas have seen a steady grow in this segment of the population. In an effort to reach out to the growing Latino/Hispanic population in the town, the Chapel Hill Police Department has established a "Hispanic/Latino Community Liaison Officer".
Hispanic/Latino Liaison Program Goals:
- To establish positive relations with the Hispanic/Latino community in order that persons will call the police when needed and help reduce crime and victimization. To build relationships with civic and religious groups, businesses, service providers and members of the Hispanic/Latino community.
- To encourage Spanish speaking residents to report criminal activity and to assist them in filing police reports as needed. To assist with answering questions about Police matters and Town Services available to residents.
- To actively recruit qualified Hispanic/Latino candidates for employment with the Chapel Hill Police Department.
- To assist Patrol, Criminal Investigations Division, and other Specialized Units with investigations and any other details as needed. To respond to incidents of a critical or emergency nature involving Spanish speaking subjects. To coordinate between crime victims and police as needed.
- To provide education in Spanish on different Crime Prevention topics as well as DWI laws and education in traffic safety and to increase awareness of NC state laws in general.