The Chapel Hill Police Department will host its Community Police Academy beginning Thursday, January 24, 2019. We will accept applications through Friday, January 11, 2019. The Community Police Academy is an action-packed two-day event providing community members with an “inside look” at how their police department functions. The Academy is designed to increase understanding and awareness of the role of the Chapel Hill Police Department and the day-to-day life of a police officer through computer simulated “hands-on” activities and engaging discussions.
Participants will experience:
- Exercises simulating real police scenarios (computer simulations)
- Officer Equipment demonstrations
- Arrest procedures
- Use of Force discussions
- Social/Mental Health Issues
- Citizen Complaints/Internal Affairs
- Police Canine (K9) Program demonstrations
- Special Emergency Response Capabilities
- …and more
The Community Police Academy is open to anyone 16 years of age or older.
Anyone wishing to attend the Community Police Academy must complete an application by visiting http://bit.ly/2UVY1yB.
*Successful completion of the Community Police Academy does not certify participants as police officers or give them police powers.
Applicants will be notified via email or postal mail of their acceptance into the academy.Thank you for your interest in the Chapel Hill Police Department and our Community Police Academy.
January 24 Topics
- Parking Services
- Officer's Equipment
- Typical Officer's Qualifications & Training
- Safety and Domestic Response
- Crime Stats
- Burglary Response
- Use of Force by Officers
- Social Issues & Police Work
- De-escalating Critical Incidents
- Instruction and Response
- Investigations & Forensic Evidence
- Tour of HQ
- Magistrate's Office
January 26th Topics
- Who Let the Dogs Out? (K9 Demonstration)
- Crisis: Dealing with Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence & Mental Health Issues
- Marked Patrol Car – Display
- Fair & Impartial Policing
- A Learning Organization – Case Study/Driven by Data
- Citizen Input
- The Special Emergency Response Team