Town Holiday Jan. 20. Most municipal offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Chapel Hill Public Library will be open from 1 to 5 p.m. Chapel Hill Transit will operate on a Saturday schedule. Residential trash will not be collected (make-up day Wednesday, Jan. 22). Read More

Sign Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Sign Permit Process




Do I Need a Permit? 


Almost all signs visible from the public right-of-way require an approved sign permitSee below for special cases:



Signs Within a Development 

Signs within a development must comply with that development's unified sign plan. Contact the property manager for a copy of the approved sign plan. Note: Not all developments will have a Unified Sign Plan. Please check with staff in Building & Development Services if you are unsure.


Only signs that meet one of the following requirements are exempt from needing a permit:

  • Temporary real estate, construction, political, yard sale, public event, or grand opening signs
  • Changeable or moveable signs (i.e. sandwich boards). Only allowed in certain zoning districts
  • Generally, these exempt signs may not display any advertising and may not be illuminated. See LUMO 5.14.3 for additional information and regulations regarding sign size, placement, and number.


Application Forms


Related Pages



View Full Site