Do I Need a Residential Building Permit?
The following residential work requires a permit:
- Any work exceeding $15,000
- Any structural work
- Most foundation and roof work
- Most electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work
- Expanding the building envelope or conditioned space
Do I need a Zoning Permit?
If any of the conditions below are part of a Residential Building Permit application, a Zoning Compliance Permit is required. Please discuss with Planning staff in Building & Development Services if you are unsure.
- 500 s.f. or more of impervious surface;
- 1,500 s.f. or more of land disturbance;
- Grading or filling;
- 5 feet or less from the Resource Conservation District or Jordan Riparian Buffer boundaries;
- Encroachment into the 100-year floodplain;
- Encroachment into steep slopes per LUMO Section 5.3.2 (400 s.f. or greater of slopes 15% or greateR);
- Inside the Historic District; or
- Adding an accessory dwelling unit.
Types of Zoning Permits
|Required Specifications||Example Projects||Site Plan Checklist||Example Documents|
Impervious surface (ISA) > 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) > 5000 sq. ft.
In/near Special Protection Area
Large hardscape / grading
|Regular Site Plan Example|
|Express Review (< 5 days)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) 500 to 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) 1500 to 5000 sq. ft.
Grading / new foundation
New Accessory Dwellings
New Driveways, Garages
|Express Site Plan Checklist|
|Exempt Review (same day)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) <500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD)<1500 sq. ft.
Decks, Porches, Patios, Sunrooms.
Finishing unfinished attic / basement.
- Recyclable Materials Form
- Change of Contractor Form
- Workers' Compensation Affidavit
- A certificate of insurance is required for the General Contractor of record per NCGS87-14.
- Owner Exemption Affidavit
- Scope of Work
- Lien Agent Designation (LiensNC.com)
- The owner is responsible for designating the lien agent for a project. The owner is defined in NCGS44A-7(6).
- What is the purpose of the lien agent system?
- Who is responsible for designating a lien agent?
- How do I file for a lien agent?
- A lien agent is not required for improvements to an owner's existing single family residence. The owner may complete the Lien Exemption Form.
- Lien Requirements for Manufactured Homes - House Bill 145
- Residential Temporary Power Form
- Plan Review Resubmittal Form
- Proposed Alternate Methods Form