Attention: This page only contains information for major development projects, such as commercial or multi-family projects. For information about single-family dwellings, two-family dwellings, or other small projects, visit the Residential Permits page or Subpermits page.
Do I Need a Commercial Building Permit?
The Commercial Building Permit Application and project-specific supplementary documents are required for all non-residential construction work, regardless of cost.
You need a Commercial Building Permit for the following purposes:
- All commercial construction work
- Any non-residential construction
- Any multifamily residential construction (building has more than 2 units)
See Commercial Work Requiring a Permit for additional information.
Many commercial building applicants meet with Development Services staff before submitting their application. Contact Development Services to find out about setting up a meeting.
All applications require the following documents:
- Commercial Building Permit Application ✔
- Appendix B: Building Code Summary ✔
- Recyclable Materials Form ✔
- Electronic Plans (created and provided by the applicant) ✔
Applications will likely also require additional documents depending on the scope of work. Download the checklist below to find out what other forms you may need:
- Administrative Zoning Compliance Permit
- Appendix B: Building Code Summary
- Change of Contractor Form
- Non-Residential Temporary Power Form
- Plan Review Resubmittal Form
- Worker's Compensation Affidavit
- A certificate of insurance is required for the General Contractor NCGS87-14.
- Stocking Permit Requirements
- Instructions for Detailed Scope of Work
- Lien Holder Certification (LiensNC.com)
- The owner is responsible for designating the lien agent for a project. The owner is defined in NCGS44A-7(6). For commercial properties, the business owner would meet this definition.
- Lien Law Guidelines
- Inspections Procedures
- Special Protection Areas
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Information
- Expectations and Reminders
- Water Heater Information