Frequently Used Pages
The Building Inspections Division provides plan review and inspections services for code compliance to all areas within the Town's limits. View a map of the Town's jurisdictional limits.
How Do I Request An Inspection?
- In order to request an inspection, you must already have a permit issued.
- Call the front desk at 919-968-2718 or email your request to email@example.com to schedule an inspection,
- Before you call, determine exactly which inspections you need using Section 107 of the 2012 NC Administrative Code. You may view the code book here.
- Inspections happen in a specific sequence. Make sure you are requesting the appropriate inspection for your project.
- Know your permit number and have it on hand.
- Be ready to provide contact information.
- On the scheduled inspection day, an inspector will call that morning to provide a 2-hour window in which the inspection will occur.
- The property must be open or accessible at the time of inspection.
- Inspectors can only enter occupied homes if someone over 18 is present.
- Check the permit box for inspection results.
- If reinspections are required, this process will be repeated.
- You must use your permit number in all communication with our office. We cannot schedule an inspection without the permit number.
- We require 24-hour notice on all inspections. It must be called in by 3:00 pm for the next working day (this time is subject to change without notice at the discretion of the Building Inspections Manager).
- All inspection requests must be scheduled by calling the main desk by calling 919-968-2718.
- Footings, slabs, and sewer services get first priority and are scheduled for the morning.
- We aim to perform every inspection on the day it was scheduled. If we are unable to do so, we will prioritize the inspection for the next available business day.
- We conduct inspections specified by Section 107 of the 2012 NC Administrative Code. You may access the NC State Codes here.
When additional inspections (re-inspections) are required due to failure to comply with applicable code requirements, you must pay a re-inspection fee of $60. Re-inspections cost $50 for stocking permits, temporary power, business occupancy, and ABC permits.
Depending on permit type, the time of payment may vary. See below for details:
All contractors are allowed to accumulate re-inspection fees on building permits. These must be paid before a final building inspection can be requested.
Re-inspection fees for miscellaneous permits: electrical, mechanical or plumbing, must be paid before a re-inspection can be scheduled.
The contractor of record has three working days after the date the inspection is rejected to appeal a re-inspection fee to Inspections Supervisor or Manager. If the deadline is missed, the fee must be paid.
Pay re-inspection fees
Please call (919) 968-2759 to pay by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
You may also pay fees in person in Development Services at Town Hall at 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill 27514.
Are you ready to finish your project, request power, or request a certificate of occupancy?