New Employee Orientation
Occurs Mondays at 9:00 AM in the HRD Training Room, Second Floor, Town Hall
Learning and Development Program
Check out our FALL 2018 TRAINING PROGRAM. Registration Instructions are included.
We are a learning organization! Our Learning and Development program provides all employees the opportunity to develop personal and professional skills that contribute to a improved work/life balance.
- We offer a comprehensive program of training throughout the year designed by a learning professional. Take a look at some of our sample courses
- Employees may enroll in the courses by emailing Tom Clark, Learning and Development Manager, at email@example.com
Committees and Task Forces
Serving on a committee or task force is a great way to practice teamwork and gain experience leading an initiative or project on behalf of the committee. Here are some standing committees. To be selected for a task force, employees should indicate their interest during their performance evaluation discussions.
- Employee Forum
- Wellness Committee
- Safety Committee
- Combined Campaign Committee
For an overview of leadership development opportunities, please see here.
- Sustainable Leadership
If you are interested in supervision, or are already a supervisor, then Sustainable Leadership is the class for you! Human Resource Development offers this two-day interactive training to anyone interested in developing qualities, technical skills, and the knowledge required to be an effective leader for the Town of Chapel Hill.
- When the program is scheduled, employees may apply using Cornerstone Learning Management System.
Smart Leaders Smarter Teams
Four-day workshop offered through Roger Schwarz and Associates with group learning exercises and opportunities to workshop the mindset and behaviors associated with the Mutual Learning approach to team effectiveness.
- This program is required for all Senior Leadership Team members.
- Department Heads are asked to select 1-2 employees per training.
- Employees may submit their interest through the Town Manager's Office by emailing Tom Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org . The submittal should include information about the individuals interest, their role in leading teams and decision making, and their experience serving on committees or task forces. The submissions will be reviewed by the Town Manager and shared with Department Heads.
- Leading for Collaborative Innovation
- Six-month program to develop leaders who know instinctively how to think systemically, work collaboratively from a mutual learning mindset, lead innovation (generating ideas AND implementing them) and produce effective outcomes for the betterment of the organization and community. The program aims to increase leadership in current roles and develop internal candidates for future leadership roles. Check back to see when this course will be offered.
Have a suggestion for our Learning and Development Program? Want a customized training experience for your team? Need some help identifying what training might be most helpful for your department? Contact Tom Clark, Learning and Development Manager, at tclark2@townofchapelhill or 919-969-5031.