The Transitional Housing Program is for low-income families wanting to transition from the Town's public housing to private market housing, homeownership, or private rental housing.
Families meeting the following criteria are eligible to apply for the program.
Please click here for the Transitional Housing Program Application.
- Current residents who pay at least $450/month in rent.
- Residents who pay their rent on time and have not had any lease violations in the past 12 months.
- Residents who are interested in establishing personal savings and housing goals and living in private market housing.
- Maintain current monthly rent, even if your family income increases.
- Automatically save 20 percent of your monthly rent in a savings account, to be used for purchase of a home or market rate rental housing in the future.
- Receive one-on-one support from a case manger to work towards your personal financial and housing goals.
- Have access to classes and programs with local agency partners to help you work towards your goals.
- Receive the money saved in your escrow account upon rental or purchase of a home in Orange County.
- Once a vacancy becomes available, families paying $450 in rent are sent a letter and an application inviting them to
apply for the program. The letter explains the program and the criteria for completing the program.
- When the application process has closed the Housing and Community staff verify the eligibility of the applicants.
- All eligible applicants are placed in a selection pool, and interviewed according to the date and time their
application was received.
- Ineligible applicants and applicants not selected are notified in writing by the Town within 30 days.
- Families are eligible to stay in the program for a maximum of five years. During the five year period the family must
attend several Counseling Sessions, Financial Management Classes, and Homeownership Workshops.
- The Town currently has one single family house and two townhouses in the program.
For more information, contact Jackie Thompson at (919) 969-5081.