The Rental and Utility Assistance Program was created in response to the emergency housing crisis facing Orange County families whose property management companies discontinued participation in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program. The program continues to provide assistance to families facing ongoing challenges in locating affordable housing options within Town limits.
Who does the program serve?
The Rental Assistance program serves households that meet the following criteria:
- Have a current Section 8 Housing Choice, VASH, HOPWA, or Permanent Supportive Housing voucher from Orange County, or a low-income resident experiencing displacement due to a natural disaster due or the closure of a Naturally Occurring Affordable Housing property
- Seek housing in the Town of Chapel Hill
- Need assistance with security deposits and utility connection fees
- Provide the required documentation when they apply for assistance
What assistance is provided through the program?
Agencies can apply to the Town on behalf of eligible households for a one-time payment from the Town of Chapel Hill:
- Two-bedroom home maximum grant: $1,480
- Three-bedroom home maximum grant: $1,860
- Four or more bedroom home maximum grant: $2,050
Eligible rental and utility connection fees include:
- Security deposits for the lease agreement
- Electric, gas, or water service connection fees
What documentation is required to receive assistance?
Households that seek assistance are required to provide the following information in order to receive assistance:
- A copy of Orange County’s Request for Tenancy Approval form
- Proof of receipt of a Section 8 housing voucher
- Official documentation showing the amount of the security deposit and/or utility connection fees
How to apply for assistance?
The Town of Chapel Hill is partnering with local nonprofit organizations to coordinate the application process for the Rental Assistance Program. To apply, please contact:
The Community Empowerment Fund – 919.200.0233
EmPOWERment – 919.967.8779