All recreational fires require permits unless the following guidelines are met:
- The fire does not exceed three feet in diameter or two feet in height;
- The fire shall not be within 25 feet of a structure or combustible materials such as pine straw, overgrown vegetation or other similar environments;
- Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition;
- The fire shall not contain any rubbish, trash, or building materials;
- The fire must be constantly attended by a competent person;
- There is an immediate way to extinguish the fire;
- Fire Extinguisher with a 4A rating or other approved on-site fire-extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization;
- Portable outdoor fireplaces shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions;
- The fire department may order the fire extinguished if it creates or adds to a hazardous situation or if the fire is determined to cause a nuisance by the responding fire crew.
If you are unsure if you can meet the above guidelines, please call the Chapel Hill Fire Department at 919-968-2781 and ask to speak with someone in the Office of the Fire Marshal division.