NOTICE FOR ALL APPLICANTS
Permit Fee General Notes
- The following schedule of permit fees is applicable to the Chapel Hill zoning jurisdiction.
- Building permit fees are based on the cost of construction unless otherwise indicated.
- For all permits, the General Contractor of record is responsible for paying all permit fees.
- All fees shall be paid in order to receive a Certificate of Occupancy and final power.
- Cost of new construction projects will be evaluated against the most current ICC Valuation Table
- Fees for all Town projects are waived
Building Valuation Data Table
(For the current Building Valuation Data table, see www.iccsafe.org)
For Use in Determining Minimum Total Valuation for Building Permit Fee Calculations
The BVD table provides the “average” construction costs per square foot, which can be used in determining permit fees for a jurisdiction. Permit fee schedules are addressed in Section 109.2 of the most current International Building Code (IBC) whereas Section 109.3 addresses building permit valuations. The permit fees can be established by using the BVD table and a Permit Fee Multiplier, which is based on the total construction
value within the jurisdiction for the past year. The Square Foot Construction Cost table presents factors that reflect relative value of one construction classification/occupancy group to another so that more expensive construction is assessed greater permit fees than less expensive construction.
The BVD is not intended to apply to alterations or repairs to existing buildings. Because the scope of alterations or repairs to an existing building varies so greatly, the Square Foot Construction Costs Table does not reflect accurate values for that purpose. However, the Square Foot Construction Costs Table can be used to determine the cost of an addition that is basically a stand-alone building which happens to be attached to an existing building. In the case of such additions, the only alterations to the existing building would involve the attachment of the addition to the existing building and the openings between the addition and the existing building.
Determination of Total Valuation. For purposes of determining fees, total valuation shall be either the actual contract price or an applicable amount based on the total square footage of the structure to be built, multiplied by the square foot cost data prescribed on the attached Building Valuation Data Table which is a part of this fee schedule, whichever is greater.
Publicly Assisted Housing Units
- The Town agrees to waive certain development-related fees related only for the affordable units for projects that provide permanently affordable homeownership opportunities or provide rental housing that remains affordable for at least 20 years. Affordable is defined as being sold or rented to households earning less than 120% of the Area Median Income as determined and approved by the Town. In this case, otherwise applicable Town application fees, building permit fees, plan review fees, inspection fees, and such other development fees and costs which would otherwise be due shall be waived for the affordable dwelling units identified in the application. To qualify for the waiver for rental development, applicants and Town staff must agree on how affordability will be maintained for a 20-year period and an agreement may be required.
- If application fees are paid for a proposed development that subsequently converts existing approved market rate units to affordable dwelling units in the development plan, a pro rata refund of any such fees that have already been paid shall be provided to the applicant upon approval of the development to reflect the conversion to affordable units. The refunded amount will be determined by the percentage of the affordable units within the development. In addition, any existing development that receives approval to construct new affordable units may have the fees waived for the new affordable units. This refund or waiver does not apply to any market rate units, or to any fees associated with water, wastewater, or stormwater.
- Fees are also waived for service projects by non-profits, for a non-profit organization.
- All additional inspections made necessary due to failure to comply with applicable code requirements shall be hereby designated as "re-inspections" and carry a re-inspection fee of $60 for all one and two family dwelling projects and $100 for every project other than one and two family for each permit type listed in this fee schedule. Note: Any disputes must be received within 3 business days of the rejection for consideration.
- Sub-permits are ineligible for refunds.
- Active building permits issued for one and two family dwellings may receive refunds of the permit cost (minus the non-refundable administrative review fee) after permit issuance provided no inspections have occurred and all original paperwork is returned to the Building Division.
- The minimum charge for processing one and two family permit refunds is $75.00
- Active building permits for all projects other than one and two family dwellings may receive refunds of the permit cost (minus the non-refundable administrative review fee and any plan review fees) after permit issuance provided no inspections have occurred and all original paperwork is returned to the Building Division.
- The minimum charge for processing other than one and two family permit refunds is $100.00
- No refunds will be issued beyond six months from the date of permit issuance for any permit or if inspections have been completed
Development Services Fees - Zoning and Planning
- Please refer to the Planning Department Fee Schedule for all fees related to zoning and planning.
After-The-Fact Work without Permits
- If any person commences any work on a building or service system before FIRST obtaining the required permit(s), that person will receive a Stop Work Order and associated fee and shall be subject to DOUBLE permit fees. The Dept Director or his/her designee may consider mitigating circumstances. See current policy for details about this process.
Orange County School Impact Fees
- Orange County School Impact Fees are no longer assessed effective June 20, 2017 due to repeal of statutory authorization.
Orange County Recyclable Materials Fee
- As of July 1, 2008, an 8% Orange County recyclable materials fee shall be charged on all permits issued in Orange County. The 8% will be based on total permit fees.
Administrative Review Fee
This is an upfront non-refundable fee, due at the time of submission for each building permit application received. This fee is based upon the project's construction cost. It is applicable for all building permits and is applied towards final permit fees balance.
|Up to $20,000||$50|
|$20,001 - $50,000||$100|
|$50,001 - $500,000||$500|
|In excess of $500,001||
Commercial Plan Review
Up to 4,000 square feet
4,000 - 15,000 square feet
15,001 - 40,000 square feet
In excess of 40,001 square feet
|4,000 - 15,000 square feet||$185|
|15,001 - 40,000 square feet||$590|
|40,001 square feet and greater||$1,420|
|Resubmission Review Fee, charged at 1 hour minimum (on initial permit review, permit fees cover the first re-review)||Additional $100 per hour|
|project Construction Cost||Fee|
|Up to $5,000||$55|
|$5,001 - $20,000||$100|
|$20,001 - $50,000||$10 per $1,000|
|$50,001 - $500,000||Base fee of $500 plus $4.50/$1,000 over $50,001|
|In excess of $500,001||Base fee of $2,500 plus $3.50/$1,000 over $500,001|
|Type of work||Fee|
|Signs||$50 per sign plus trade fees|
|Mobile Homes||$250 including trade fees|
|Construction Trailers||$150 including trade fees|
|Insulation (per dwelling unit OR proposed # of inspections||$60
|Accessory structures, screen porches, roofs, pergolas, (un)covered decks, uncovered decks, swimming pools||Cost of Construction plus trade fees|
|Permit Reactivation (See current policy for details)|
|Other than 1-2 Family||$100|
|Type of work||One and two family||other than one and two family|
Single Panel (regardless of size)
This fee will cover the addition, alteration, or changes to any new or existing single panel and its components
|Read in / Read out (per inspection)||$100||$100|
|Type of work||one and two family||Other than one and two family|
|All interconnected appliances, equipment or connections (each); ductwork, etc (minimum charge)||$35||N/A|
|Heat Pump / Gas Pack||$70||$135|
|Geothermal (each system)||$70||$135|
|Hood System (per system)||$100||$100|
|Commercial appliances (each - boilers, chillers, exhaust fans, heat towers, VAV boxes, condensers, ductwork, etc)||N/A||$100|
|Type of work||One and two family||other than one and two family|
|Per Fixture (in excess of five fixtures)||$10||$15|
|Sewer/Water Connection , Irrigation System||$50||$55|
|Grease Trap / Oil Interceptor||N/A||$65|
|Piping (whole house/structure piping)*||
*For multiple dwelling units, this fee is charged per dwelling unit
|type of work / service||Fee|
|Change of Contractor / Info (applies each time a contractor or information is changed after permit application submission)||$110|
|Business Occupancy (applies to new or relocation of any occupancy type related to a commercial business except child / daycare)||$180|
|Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (applies to each TCO issued per permit with a 30 day maximum time period) - Issuance is at the discretion of Dept leadership||
$80 (1-2 Family)
$100 (Other than 1-2 Family)
|Occupancy Reposting (new or existing without active building permits)||$80|
|Day Care Facilities Inspection (applies to any child-care facility)||$285|
|Food Truck/Trailer Vendor - Code Administration Fee||$200 / year|
|Semi-Annual Electrical School Re-Inspections (one hour increments only, due at time of inspection request)||$100/hour|
|Demolition Permit (per structure only, each requiring a separate permit) - Interior demolition fees will be based on Cost of Construction.||$150|
|Antenna / Tower / Utility / Cellular / Solar (includes fees for all work related to Building, Electrical, and Plan Review)||$350|
|Sidewalk Dining (New)||$100|
|Sidewalk Dining Annual review and permit renewal||$50|
|Homeowner's Recovery Fund (State mandated fee for all 1-2 Family permits with an associated licensed General Contractor)||$10|
|Temporary Power (per unit)||$100|
|ORIAS (After-hour / Weekend Service Request - upfront payment for minimum of 2 hours per request)||$85 / hour|
|Permit Conferences Series with Staff - Large Projects Only (up front payment required)||$6,000|
|Records Research request, charged at 1 hour minimum||$60/hour + copy fees for hard copies|
|Copy fees||As set by Council townwide|
|Walkthrough Inspection**||$60 per inspection/trade|
**This inspection applies to permitted work only and can only be done when initiated or approved by Town Supervisory or Management Staff. Fee applies to each trade inspection.