Aerial view of Town Operations Center taken in October 2006
The Town Operations Center, the largest capital project in Town government’s history at $52 million, has been completed at Millhouse Road north of Eubanks Road (Location Map). The entire lot is 89 acres with the center complex comprising four buildings occupying about 54 acres.
The facility houses the Public Works and Transportation departments, which were required to vacate their former UNC-owned site along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
The Town held a groundbreaking ceremony on Oct. 29, 2004, construction was finished in Spring 2007, and Town departments moved into the facility in May and June of 2007.
The Town’s Percent for Art Ordinance set aside an estimated $420,000 for public art. The Public Arts Commission selected Larry Kirkland as the artist for the Town Operations Center. Kirkland is noted for his mastery and skill in using engraved stone, cast bronze, glass, water and light. A graduate of Oregon State University and the University of Kansas, Kirkland is a past recipient of a Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. He has created numerous public artworks over the past 30 years and is currently designing a garden for the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan.
- 09/07/2007 TOC Dedication and Grand Opening (NOTE: ALL of THESE NEED LINKAGE)
- 08/03/2007 Save the Date: Town Operations Center Dedication
- 06/29/2007 Chapel Hill Transit Move
- 05/10/2007 Historic Move to Town Operations Center Scheduled Friday
- 04/13/2007 Town Operations Center Move Begins
- 10/23/2006 Town Operations Center Update
- 05/12/2006 Millhouse Road Construction
- 10/27/2005 Town to hold groundbreaking for Town Operations Center
- 10/21/2005 Millhouse Road Widening Project Begins
- 10/7/2004 Building Program And Overall Budget Revised In Response To Cost Estimates Based On The Detailed Design
- 07/16/2004 Plans For The Buildings And The Site Layout Revised
- 02/29/2004 Drawings From The Special Use Permit Application Refined
- 12/31/2003 Application for Special Use Permit Prepared
- 11/30/2003 Concept Plan Worked Into Design Drawings
- 10/31/2003 Town Council Adopted Concept Plans And Preliminary Budgets For The Transportation And Public Works Portions
- 09/30/2003 Town Council Considered A 15-Year Concept Plan And Preliminary Budget
- 08/31/2003 Concept Plan And Preliminary Cost Projections Reviewed
- 06/30/2003 Draft Conceptual Plan Reviewed By Advisory Boards
- 05/31/2003 Design Workshop Held The Week Of May 19
- 04/30/2003 Design Refined With The Addition Of Another 13 Acres
- 03/31/2003 Town Council Reviewed Design Options From 2/17–2/21 Intensive Design Workshop
- 02/28/2003 Town Council Completed Town Operations Center Design Advisory Committee Appointments
- 01/31/2003 Town Council Approved A Process And Schedule For Development Of Conceptual Design And Cost Estimate
The project will reflect the Council’s key values of sustainability, environmental sensitivity and fiscal prudence.
- High Performance Guidelines – Triangle ‘J’ Council of Government
- Elements include Daylighting, Rainwater Collection, Photovoltaic Systems, Solar Water Heating and Geothermal Mechanical System.
- Environmental Sensitivity is reflected in the site design, which minimizes clearing and impact on the site’s Resource Conservation Districts (RCD’s).
- Stormwater Management is improved by utilizing pervious pavement, wet ponds and bio-retention areas.
- Fiscal Prudence is promoted by the site-specific design, which minimizes grading and balances earthwork. The bids received for the Early Sitework Package verify this.
- Building program has been carefully scrutinized to minimize costs while supporting operational needs and the project’s core values.
- Resolution Awarding a Bid for Construction of the Town Operations Center Off-Site Utility Improvements.
- Resolution Awarding Bid for Construction of the Town Operations Center Off-Site Roadway Improvements.
- Resolution Awarding a Bid for Construction of the Town Operations Center.
- Delegation of Authority to Conduct Hearing on Bid Withdrawal.
- Town Operations Center –Project Ordinance Amendments
- 06/15/2005 Resolution Calling a Special Meeting of the Town Council on June 20, 2005
- 05/23/2005 Rejection of the Bid for the Town Operations Center Off-Site Improvement Project
- 04/11/2005 Change Order to the Town Operations Center Site Work Contract
- 04/05/2005 Installment Financing Approval for the Town Operations Center
- 03/21/2005 Public Hearing on Installment Financing Contract for the Town Operations Center
- 10/27/2004 Update on the Town Operations Center Project
- 11/17/2003 Concept Plan Review: Town Operations Center
- 05/12/2003 Budget Amendments for Town Operations Center Design
- 03/03/2003 Consideration of Preliminary Design Options for Town Operations Center
- 01/13/2003 Process for Preliminary Design and Cost Estimation for Town Operations Center
- 12/09/2002 Contract and Budget Amendment for Preliminary Design Services for Town Operations Center