What is the Peoples Academy?
The Peoples Academy is a 5 week, 10 class opportunity to learn, connect and lead. Participants gather at Town or Town partner facilities to learn more about services, connect with their fellow community members, and gain valuable knowledge and understanding to lead in the Chapel Hill community.
The next Peoples Academy will take place in Fall, 2019. ALL people that live, work, play, pray or study in Chapel Hill are invited to apply. Childcare, meals, transportation and interpretation are provided as needed.
What will I get out of the Academy?
- Face time with Town leadership
- Information on Town services and operations
- Tour Town facilities
- Tips on obtaining a job at the Town and other local governments
- Community leadership and communication skills
How do I apply?
Peoples Academy applications will open in Summer, 2019, but you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-969-5009 to indicate your interest and be added to our notification list.
What are the session topics?
- The Unseen Machine: Town Manager, Communications and Public Affairs, Human Resources and Technology
- Because Cops Need Heroes, Too!: Field trip to Fire Training facility
- All About Housing: Housing and Community
- Rolling with Public Works and Transit: Field trip to Public Works and Transit Operations Center
- The Fun Stuff: Library and Parks & Recreation
- Where's the Water?: Field trip to Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA)
- The Future is Now: Planning and Economic Development
- Guardians of the Hill: Field trip to Police Department
- Show Me the Money!: Budget and Finance
- Putting it all Together: Town Tour, Call to Action and Elected Official Panel
2018 Class Materials
Click here for the one-pagers from each department including key responsibilities, contact information, social media and smart phone apps.
Click the below links for individual department presentations:
- Town Manager
- Human Resources Development
- Technology Solutions
- Communications and Public Affairs
- Housing and Community
- Chapel Hill Transit
- Public Works
- Parks and Recreation
- Chapel Hill Public Library
- Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA)
- Economic Development, Planning and Building Services
- Business Management
- Call to Action
Questions or comments?
Thanks, WCHL, for inviting us to speak about the Academy in November, 2018!