Get updates on the COVID-19 coronavirus at

Friday, April 10, is a Town holiday. Yard waste will not be collected Friday. Residential trash collection and curbside recycling will not be affected. Chapel Hill Transit will operate on a Saturday schedule (no U or NU routes). Chapel Hill Transit will not operate on Sunday, April 10. View the holiday service schedule.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Motor vehicles must be registered and licensed within 30 days of purchase or of moving to North Carolina. Application for license plate requires certificate of title (from seller or from state of previous residence) and the company name and policy number of automobile liability insurance (company must be recognized in N.C.). Within 10 days after registration the vehicle must be inspected at an authorized service station.

Registered motor vehicles located in Chapel Hill are assessed an annual fee of $20.

Registration and Driver’s Licenses

N.C. Driver License Agency

Carrboro Plaza
NC 54 West (west side of Carrboro)

N.C. License Plate Agency

1704-B E. Franklin St.
(open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekdays except holidays. This office also provides North Carolina car titles and sells license plates.)

View Full Site