Maintaining Public Records

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Town of Chapel Hill is committed to making public records available in a timely manner. Public records requests are coordinated through the Department of Communications & Public Affairs in compliance with North Carolina public records laws (§ 132).

How to submit a public records request

Send your request using the ONLINE FORM or the PDF FORM, which may be emailed, mailed or faxed.

Questions? Contact us at 919-968-2743 or email

Mail or Delivery:
Department of Communications and Public Affairs
Town Hall, 2nd Floor
405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Chapel Hill, NC 27514


You are not required to provide a mailing address, but please do provide the best way that we may contact you.

Fees for Records

Personal copies can be made in the CaPA Office at a cost of $0.18 per page (black & white) and $0.24 per page (color). Additional charges may be assessed pursuant to N.C. Public Records Law.

Some departments may charge fees associated with staff time required for researching public records depending on the scope and type of request. That information will be provided before the request is completed.


Frequently Asked Questions:


  • 1. How can I obtain copies of Council/Mayor E-mails?

    Mayor and Council Member emails can be obtained through our Council Mail search portal.  It can be accessed here.
  • 2. How can I obtain a copy of Council minutes, agendas, or videos?

    You can find Chapel Hill Town Council agendas, minutes, and videos on the Town of Chapel Hill Legistar page, which you can access here.

  • 3. How can I get a copy of a divorce decree?

    If your divorce was processed in Orange County, you may obtain a copy from the Orange County Clerk of Court's Office, located in the Orange County Courthouse.  Please contact them at (919) 644-4500 with any questions.

  • 4. How do I obtain a copy of a police record, police incident report, or vehicle accident report?

    For a fee you may pick up a copy from the Records Division located at 828 Martin Luther King Blvd. Many reports are also available for free on our Police2Citizen website at  Additional data can be found on our Chapel Hill Open Data Platform.  If you have any questions or need to contact the Chapel Hill Police Department please call 919-968-2760.

  • 5. How can I get a copy of a criminal background check?

    Our Information Services Divisions completes the criminal background checks.  You can contact them at 919-968-2760, or email at

  • 6. How can I get a copy of a birth certificate?

    The Register of Deeds office is the official steward of birth records for Orange County.  For more information, please go here, or contact the Register of Deeds at (919) 245-2675.

  • 7. How do I find a copy of a Certificate of Occupancy?

    You may obtain a copy of a certificate of occupancy by contacting our Building Inspections Division at 919-968-2718.

  • 8. Where can I view the Town budget?

    Budgetary development information is available here.

  • 9. How do I obtain a copy of a permit?

    The Town of Chapel Hill Online Permitting Services allows you to search permit and planning project data online.  You can access that info here.
View Full Site