Friday, July 3 is a Town holiday. Chapel Hill Transit will not operate July 4-July 5. Yard waste will not be collected Friday, July 3. The July 4th Community Celebration has been canceled. More Information


No mask distribution on Saturday, July 4.


Get updates on the COVID-19 coronavirus at

Temporary Electrical Service

The Electrical Contractor must complete an application requesting Temporary Electrical Power AFTER the items below are completed.


Permanent Electrical Power Procedures

  • All permit fees must be paid.
  • The as–built survey plat (if required) must be approved.
  • The building final must be approved, including mechanical, plumbing, and electrical finals.
  • If relevant, the Fire Division and Health Division final inspections must be approved.
  • All zoning issues must be approved.
  • The driveway inspection must be approved by the Engineering Division.
  • Orange Water and Sewer Authority meter fee must be paid.
  • After all of the above are completed, the Electrical Inspector or Permit Technician will fax permission for permanent electrical power to Duke Energy the following day.


Certificates of Occupancy Requirements

In order to qualify for a Certificate of Occupancy the following requirements must be satisfied:

  • All outstanding fees must be paid.
  • OWASA water & sewer meter fee receipt (municipal services) OR Orange Co. Operation Permit (well and/or septic)
  • Final driveway approval by Engineering staff
  • Stormwater approval
  • Approved electrical, mechanical, and plumbing final inspections
  • Signed and Sealed As-Built Survey with Flood Certification and RCD (1 digital copy), where required
  • Zoning final approval of ZCP/SUP/FDP conditions
  • Termite soil treatment guarantee form
  • Subsequent approved Building final


Commercial projects also require the following:

  • Landscaping approved/Bond posted
  • Fire Department approval
  • Approval from all outside agencies (OWASA, Duke, NCDOT, Orange County, etc)
View Full Site