Responding to Flood Damage
Repairs to Airport Gardens, Town Hall
The Town of Chapel Hill continues to respond to flood damage to public facilities. Crews are working to repair the flood and mold damage in housing units at Airport Gardens public housing neighborhood on the 800 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The first floor of Chapel Hill Town Hall at 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. will be closed for six months to one year to repair damage from recent flooding and make improvement upgrades.
"We are preparing a report on the causes of this flooding in both Town Hall and Airport Gardens so we can make improvements to avoid this situation in the future," said Town Manager Roger L. Stancil.
Torrential rains on June 30, 2013, caused flood damage in 18 of the 26 apartments at Airport Gardens. Repairs including mold remediation are expected to be completed by August 30, 2013. Since June 30, hotel accommodations have been provided for families of the apartments affected by the flood.
Flooding also occurred at the 42-year-old Town Hall building after a huge volume of rain – about five inches – fell within a few hours. Clean-up and mitigation efforts include removal of all furniture, carpeting and the bottom two feet of drywall throughout the floor. The Council dais also was damaged. These measures were taken to arrest the spread of mold.
“Due to the extensive nature of the demolition, it was decided to reconsider the layout design of the business management services area to improve customer service and improve the efficiency of the space,” said Ken Pennoyer, director of business management services.
Estimated costs for clean-up and construction may exceed $400,000. The Town’s insurance will cover a portion of this cost, and the rest will need to be funded through a fund balance appropriation or by moving funds from approved capital projects in the FY14 budget.
The Town Hall renovation project will affect the following services:
- Revenue Collection: A temporary payment window is arranged on the second floor of Town Hall. The Town’s Revenue Collection services is expected to move to University Square, 143 W. Franklin St., in late August with the date to be announced. The new office will be located between Time-Out and Optometric Eye Care. Persons making payments for public housing rents or tax payments should come to this location or pay by mail to the Town of Chapel Hill, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. Staff are exploring options for business and building permit payments when Revenue Collection services move to University Square in August.
- Council Meetings and Board/Commission Meetings: The Council Chamber, First Floor Conference Room, and Second Floor Training Room are unavailable for meetings. Meetings of the Town Council could move to the Orange County Southern Human Services Center at 2501 Homestead Drive, and meetings of Town boards and commissions will move to other locations including the Chapel Hill Public Library at 100 Library Drive. Check the Town web calendar for more information at www.townofchapelhill.org/calendar.
- Parking: Because the first floor of Town Hall is inaccessible, visitors who are unable to manage steps should park on the second floor parking level.
- Gov TV-18 and Streaming Video: Check www.townofchapelhill.org/channel18 for the latest government access channel programming on the on Time Warner Cable. Because the Town’s television production studio is located in Town Hall, meetings will not be cablecast “live” on this channel. Staff members are troubleshooting how to best to provide video of governmental meetings to the public on both Ch. 18 and via www.townofchapelhill.org/councilvideo.
- Internal Services: Town staff should continue to come to Town Hall for payroll services, which are temporarily located in the Second Floor Training Room. Information Technology staff are at various locations, and may be reached by internal users via 969-2020 or ITSupport@townofchapelhill.org.
For more information, contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 919-968-2743 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.