Keep the Wreath Green 2019
The Chapel Hill Fire Department annually displays the green wreath on the front of Fire Station One (403 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd) during the month of December to remind the community of the importance of home fire safety over the holidays. Each time crews respond to a fire, a green bulb will be replaced by a red one to remind people of the dangers posed by fires.
Residents are encouraged to practice fire safety during the holidays with these reminders:
- Don’t leave lit unattended candles in your home
- Unplug holiday lights when you are away
- Allow three feet of clearance around portable heaters
- Don’t place live Christmas trees near a fireplace (it dries them out)
- Water live Christmas trees every day
- Don’t build large fires in your fireplace
- Don’t use holiday decorations that are not flame retardant
- Open the damper on your fireplace before use
In conjunction with the Keep the Wreath Green program, the Fire Department has placed tree tags on Christmas trees at local sales lots. The tags provide important safety tips involving Christmas trees and holiday decorations. The design of this program is to put critical life-safety information in the hands of the families using live trees in their homes.
Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!