Halloween on Franklin Street: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2019
Chapel Hillians will, again, parade their costumes on Franklin Street for Halloween next week and safety is the number one goal for everyone involved.
"Halloween on Franklin Street is a local tradition that puts the creativity of our community on full display," said Chapel Hill Town Manager Maurice Jones. "Our goal is for everyone to have a wonderful evening together in our Downtown and to return safely home at the end of the night."
Medical treatment calls
Due to expected crowd sizes, Town officials will close the street to regular traffic at 8 p.m. and the streets will reopen to normal traffic at 10:30 p.m.
Alcohol is not allowed on the closed streets and alcohol checkpoints will be in place with DWI enforcement on the perimeter of the event before, during, and after the event.
- Unlicensed drones (for more information, visit townofchapelhill.org/Home/Components/News/News/11648/663);
- Costume accessories that look like weapons;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Glass bottles;
- Fireworks and explosives;
- Flammable substances;
- Animals; and
No matter how fake they look, costume
- Franklin Street from Church Street to Raleigh Street
- Columbia Street from Rosemary Street to Cameron Avenue
- South Road from Columbia Street to Raleigh Street
- Cameron Avenue from Columbia Street to Raleigh Street
- Skipper Bowles Drive
- Williamson Drive
Chapel Hill Transit and Safe Ride Buses
Chapel Hill Transit will adjust some routes and schedules in the evening of Thursday, Oct. 31, to accommodate the Halloween on Franklin Street. The following schedule modifications will be in effect:
Halloween on Franklin Street is
- CW Route—Last bus will leave Pittsboro Street Credit Union at 7:46 p.m.
- CM Route—Last bus will leave Jones Ferry park and ride at 7:10 p.m.
- D Route—Last bus will depart E. Franklin Street at Carolina Coffee Shop at 6:50 p.m. and will end at Sagebrook Apartments at 7:31 p.m.
- F Route:
- The last Route F toward Colony Woods will depart Old Fayetteville Road. at Pine Grove at 6:50 p.m. and will end at Colony Woods at 7:45 p.m.
- The last Route F toward Pine Grove will depart Colony Woods Drive at Overland Drive. at 6:45 p.m. and will end at Pine Grove at 7:50 p.m.
Due to road closures and
- G Route:
- The last Route G toward Booker Creek will depart University Place at 7:02 p.m. and will end at Booker Creek Road Apartments at 7:47 p.m.
- The last Route G toward University Place will depart Booker Creek at 6:53 p.m. and will arrive at University Place at 7:43 p.m.
- J Route:
- The last Route J toward Rock Creek Apartments will depart Jones Ferry Road at Davie Road at 7:32 p.m. and will end at Rock Creek Apartments at 7:56 p.m.
- The last Route J toward Collins Crossing will depart Rock Haven Road at Rock Creek West at 7:30 and will end at Collins Crossing at 8:02 p.m.
- NS Route—Last buses will depart the Eubanks Park and Ride at 7:40 p.m., and from the Southern Village Park and Ride at 7:45 p.m.
- NU Route—Last bus will depart South Road at Student Stores at 7:20 p.m. and will go out of service at the RR Lot at 7:44 p.m.
- EZ Rider service will end at 7:30 p.m.
Safe Ride buses will operate after Franklin Street is reopened.
There will be no bus shuttles operating from park and ride lots to Halloween on Franklin Street.
Due to road closures and traffic pattern changes, Chapel Hill Transit may be unable to operate all published schedules. The delays will also impact NextBus predictions.
No charter buses downtown.
No parking in downtown
There will be limited parking in downtown. Vehicles parked on streets to be closed will be towed beginning at 6 p.m.
Vehicles that are illegally parked will be ticketed and towed, with a minimum recovery cost of $140 plus the cost of the ticket.
Special Event Rate parking of $20 will be in effect starting at 5 p.m. at Wallace Parking Deck, Rosemary Deck, Rosemary/ Columbia Lot, and 140 West Parking Deck. For parking information visit parkonthehill.com.
For the latest UNC public safety information on Halloween (street closures and parking restrictions) visit move.unc.edu.
Information: Community Safety Communications Specialist Ran Northam at email@example.com or 919-969-4878 or Communications Manager Catherine Lazorko at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-969-5055.