Celebrate A 200 Year Milestone with The Town Of Chapel Hill
The Town of Chapel Hill continues to honor a 200-year milestone through the celebratory series, Chapel Hill 1819/2019, by bringing together the organizations and departments which have made – and continue to make – the community vibrant. This fall celebration offers a variety of engagements to explore the partners and divisions that shape Chapel Hill’s history and future.
The October 2019 program line-up kicks off with historic events around town and campus, a community Wikipedia “Edit-a-thon”, and an opportunity to “Touch-A-Truck” with the Public Works Department. The Chapel Hill Public Library podcast, Re/Collecting Chapel Hill, releases its third episode and will feature a quest to “remember the dead” through an audio tour of four Chapel Hill cemeteries. “Learning about Chapel Hill’s cemeteries encourages us to think about the people who built this town and how we can better remember them,” says Mandella Younge. Younge is on the team managing Chapel Hill 1819/2019 happenings and is also an associate producer of the podcast.
Early October Chapel Hill 1819/2019 series events include:
- Heart of the Hill Tour: Beneath our Feet | Friday, Oct. 4, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tour nearby archaeological sites and examine artifacts from the early days of Chapel Hill. Heartofthehillstours.com
- Forest Theatre 100th Anniversary Celebration: Past, Present, Future | Sunday, Oct. 6, from 2 to 4 p.m. Koch Memorial Forest Theatre Commemorate 100 years of playmaking with performances paying tribute to the legacy of the Theatre.
- Re/Collecting Chapel Hill Podcast, episode 3: Remembering Our Dead | Monday, Oct. 7 Take a walk with a local historian through four Chapel Hill burial sites. Chapelhillhistory.org/podcast
- Heart of the Hill Tour: Happy Birthday, Carolina! | Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 to 11 a.m. Tour downtown and campus markers culminating with UNC’s University Day celebration. Heartofthehillstours.com
- UNC – Chapel Hill University Day | Saturday, Oct. 12, from 11 a.m. to 12 noon. Memorial Hall Participate in remembering the connectedness between the Town and the inauguration of the University and celebrate what the future holds.
- Chapel Hill Then and Now Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon | Sunday, Oct. 13, from 2 to 4 p.m. Chapel Hill Public Library, Meeting Room B Take part in improving the materials and text on the Chapel Hill Wikipedia pages with the help of UNC’s University Library staff.
- Public Works Touch-A-Truck | Sunday, Oct. 13, from 2 to 4 p.m. Department of Public Works Learn the about the different services Public Works provides for the town through hands-on activities. This event is designed for all ages.
The Town of Chapel Hill will continue to celebrate the 200 year observance through Nov. 20, 2019 – honoring the day the General Assembly formed Chapel Hill local government 200 years ago. To see the current program offerings, visit the series website at www.chapelhill1819.org or the Town’s website at www.townofchapelhill.org/history. For more information contact Mbartoletta@townofchapelhill.org.