Advancing Transparency in Chapel Hill
Because the Town Council engages in important conversations at both Work Sessions and Council Committee on Economic Sustainability meetings, both meetings will be videoed and offered online for public review starting this September.
The new communications respond to a petition from Mayor Pro Tem Jessica Anderson that was supported by the Town Council. While no votes are taken at these meetings, the petition responds to a public desire for videos to hear all discussions and better understand Council interests.
“The Town of Chapel Hill government has long acted with integrity in an open and transparent process,” said Town Manager Maurice Jones. “Our latest efforts increase transparency by providing access to additional information, from the beginning to the end of the process, including the reasoning that leads to and supports the policy conclusion.”
Meetings of the Town Council
Council Committee on Economic Sustainability
- Mission: Support opportunities to put Chapel Hill’s people to work, and create economic prosperity for all, now and in the future.
- Meets at 8 a.m. first Fridays of the month at the Chapel Hill Public Library
- Agendas, action minutes -- and now, videos available at townofchapelhill.org/businesses/council-economic-sustainability-committee
Council Work Sessions
- The Council meets to discuss complex issues for possible future action at a regular meeting. No formal action is taken during work sessions.
- Held at 6:30 p.m. on various Wednesdays of the month at the Chapel Hill Public Library
- Agendas, action minutes -- and now, videos available at chapelhill.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
Council Regular Meetings
- The Council meets holds regular meetings at 7 p.m. various Wednesdays in the Council Chamber of Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Videos are live-streamed at https://bit.ly/2GfEFNq where agendas and minutes are also available.
- Sign up to receive news releases offering Council Highlights of each upcoming meeting, as well as Council Meeting Recaps.
- Did you know … ? Council meeting agendas from 2000 to present are available online at townhall.townofchapelhill.org/agendas/ and minutes are archived online from 1870 to present. That is not a typo! About 150 years of local government meeting minutes are available for public review at townhall.townofchapelhill.org/records/
Transparency in Chapel Hill
- Town meetings are open to the public and noticed at least 48 hours before the meeting is held.
- Check meeting schedules at townofchapelhill.org/calendar
- Learn more about the Town of Chapel Hill’s transparency initiatives at townofchapelhill.org/transparency
- Sign up to receive Town calendar notices of meetings, news and updates, visit townofchapelhill.org/signup
Your participation is welcomed and encouraged!
- Questions? Contact Communications and Public Affairs at email@example.com
- Reach your Chapel Hill Mayor and Council members at townofchapelhill.org/Council