Franklin Street Improvements near Merritt Mill Road
The NC DOT has begun construction of intersection improvements on Franklin Street between Merritt Mill Road and Graham Street. Single-lane closures and/or sidewalk closures are possible between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Some on-street parking on Franklin Street may also be blocked off during the project. The project is expected to be complete in October 2019.
- No improvements to traffic capacity (no new travel lanes)
- Safer, more defined, and more efficient bicycle and pedestrian accommodations are being installed
- Adding new sidewalk and curb ramps to the areas in front of the car wash, the garage, and also to the SE quadrant of the intersection.
- Converting the back-to-back left turn lane between Merritt Mill Road and Graham Street into a median
- Installing stamped crosswalks,
- Traffic signal upgrade to include new crosswalks
- Adding the additional high visibility crosswalk to the west leg of the Franklin Street / Graham Street intersection as it is currently missing that component.
- Traffic signal upgrades
Looking for Traffic News?
Visit townofchapelhill.org/traffic. Did you know that traffic advisories may be sent directly to your email? Visit townofchapelhill.org/signupto sign up and check the box "Traffic Advisories." For assistance, contact us at email@example.com.
Do you walk, bike, run and wheel around Chapel Hill? The Town of Chapel Hill is busy with projects to improve your travel safety and convenience – including sidewalks, streets, trails and greenways, traffic calming and more. For more information, visit townofchapelhill.org/gettingaround. And, for a weekly digest of all Town news, sign up for Chapel Hill eNews at townofchapelhill.org/signup or by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.