Hurricane Preparedness Week
Hurricane season is every year between June 1 and November 30. This marks the time of year when hurricanes are more likely to form in the Atlantic Ocean and impact our weather. Do you have a plan for when one shows up in the forecast for Chapel Hill?
“In 2018, two tropical systems—Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael—gave us examples of the damage these storms can do to our community,” said Emergency Management Coordinator Vencelin Harris. “Hurricanes are nothing to take lightly and can cause major damage, including things like flooding, power outages, and fallen trees.”
The National Weather Service is focusing each day of the week on a strategy to help you have a plan in place by week’s end.
- Sunday, May 5: Determine Your Risk
- Monday, May 6: Develop an Evacuation Plan
- Tuesday, May 7: Assemble Disaster Supplies
- Wednesday, May 8: Get an Insurance Checkup
- Thursday, May 9: Strengthen Your Home
- Friday, May 10: Help Your Neighbor
- Saturday, May 11: Complete a Written Plan
For more information on each of these topics, visitweather.gov/wrn/hurricane-preparedness.
Bookmark townofchapelhill.org/emergency for easy access to many helpful resources during an emergency.