Flooding Possible Through Sunday
The National Weather Service in Raleigh is calling for additional rain in Chapel Hill, heavy at times, to continue through Sunday evening, which could lead to flooding in low-lying areas.
For the latest forecast, visit forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.9082&lon=-79.0458#.XLIhIOhKiUk.
Bolin Creek water levels are high and the ground is heavily saturated. Any additional rain could quickly cause flooding. Low-lying areas could become flooded quickly. A flash flood warning is in effect until 3:15 p.m. Saturday, and a flood watch continues through 11:59 p.m. Saturday.
There is a high potential for uprooted trees and downed power lines. If you see a downed power line or a potentially hazardous situation, do not approach it; call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
Are you signed up to receive OC Alerts? The notifications are fully customizable. Visit https://member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/login to sign up or check your subscription settings.
Areas of Chapel Hill that Flood during periods of extended and/or extensive heavy rain:
- S. Estes Drive in the vicinity of Willow Drive
- Camelot Village Apartments on S. Estes Drive
- Brookwood Community on S. Estes Drive
- South Estes public housing neighborhood on Estes Drive Extension near University Place
- Bolin Creek out of its banks
- Cleland Road between Kendall Drive and Hayes Road
- Franklin Street at Mallette Street
- E. Franklin Street at Park Place
Community safety tips if you experience rising water where you are:
- Immediately seek higher ground
- Do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you have to walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Do not park in low-lying areas.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, leave the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and the vehicle can be swept away quickly.
For more safety information, visit readync.org, and download the ReadyNC app on your iPhone or Android device.