Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation continues to expand our efforts in supporting health and wellness in Chapel Hill.
We believe Parks and Recreation are the gateways to a healthier more livable community. As the new spring and summer seasons approach, so do your options broaden to participate in an outdoor adventure or group fitness program in Chapel Hill.
We’ve created some of our own programs, as well as partnered with local healthcare providers to deliver a host of different programs in Chapel Hill. These classes are taught by trained instructors and take place in our local recreation centers, at local parks and even in one downtown open space and public plaza.
Here are a collection of fantastic healthy and fun outlets to help stay fit, healthy, and, ideally, stress-free this spring and summer.
- Stroller Strides for Moms is a functional, total-body conditioning workout designed for moms with kids in tow. Each 60-minute workout is comprised of strength training, cardio and core restoration, all while entertaining the little ones with songs, activities and fun! Offered every Tuesday morning at 9:30 a.m. at the Chapel Hill Community Center Park,
- Hike and River Float Adventure on Sunday, May 19. Join us as we hike the N.C. Mountain to Sea trail and float our way down the river to West Point at the Eno.
- Paddle the Eno River on Saturday, June 1st. Join us as we learn about the fundamentals of kayaking and canoeing including safety, equipment, paddling technique, and trip planning. This is a flat water trip and we’ll explore sites along the river bank.
- Zumba with the Zeiglers is on Saturdays this summer at Chapel Hill Community Center and features exotic rhythms set to high-energy Latin and International beats. It’s an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, calorie-burning dance fitness party!
Cosponsored Programs in the Community
Cosponsored programs in the community
- “Boot Camp & Brunch”, is a group boot camp-style fitness series open to the public and takes place in the 140 West Franklin Street Plaza in Downtown Chapel Hill on four Saturday mornings in April-May 2019. Participants are invited to enjoy brunch together at a partnering restaurant following their work out.
- Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation is sponsoring WCHL's Healthiest You Challenge, presented by UNC Health Care and UNC Wellness Centers. While the eight participating teams were pre-selected as part of a promotion, the public is invited to join us for a Community Kickball Night at Cedar Falls Park on Wednesday, April 10th at 6:30 p.m.
- You can always head out to enjoy our outdoor fitness course along the Fan Branch Greenway in Southern Community Park. Fitness Trail allows an individuals to engage in low impact exercises as they walk along the park’s greenway. The Trail includes an Air Walker, Single Skier, Sit Up Bench, Fitness Bike, Row Machine, Leg Press, Chest/Lat Combo, Pushup/Dip Combo, Doubles Pull Up Bars, and Arm/Foot Wheel.
Everyone needs the opportunity for self-enrichment, adventure, fellowship and quiet reflection. At Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department, we understand these needs and are dedicated to providing recreational and fitness opportunities in a safe and inviting environment.
For more information about our programs and facilities, log on to www.chapelhillparks.org