Shop Safely this Holiday Season
The Chapel Hill Police Department is encouraging the residents and visitors of Chapel Hill to utilize a few helpful tips to limit opportunities for people to take advantage of you, especially during the holiday season.
Use the following list as a guideline whenever possible; if you see suspicious activity, report it immediately to 911.
- Park in a well-lit, populated area;
- Store valuables in the trunk or under a seat—out of sight;
- Lock your doors and roll up your windows;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Shop with a friend; and
- Break down identifiable boxes before placing them on the street in front of your home for pickup.
Some people are looking to take advantage of you when you shop online and over the phone as well.
- If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is;
- Don’t give personal information to an unknown source over the phone or online;
- Check your credit card and bank statements often for unusual behavior; and
- Companies, courts and police agencies will not accept payment for services or to pay off a debt you owe in the form of gift cards for other stores.
If you feel you have been victimized in any way, call the Chapel Hill Police Department during normal business hours at 919-968-2760 to file a report.
If you feel you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 911.