Orange County to Open Emergency Shelters
Orange County officials will open two Emergency Shelters to help residents who may be displaced by Hurricane Florence. The shelters will open Wednesday at 4 p.m. at the following locations:
- Smith Middle School (9201 Seawell School Rd, Chapel Hill)
- CW Stanford Middle School (308 Orange High School Rd, Hillsborough)
Identification is not required to enter a shelter, but it is encouraged as a best practice.
Visit our website for additional information on shelters, or listen to or watch local radio or television coverage.
Please keep in mind the following considerations for staying at a shelter.
- Shelters will have food or water, but will not have easy access to medications or many other personal needs.
- If you must have transportation, emergency transport may be provided to you by calling 919-245-6100.
- Bring all regularly taken medications
- Insurance information
- Comfortable Clothing
- Personal radios - with headphones
- Games , reading material or other things to pass the time - especially for children
- Specialty items for your needs
- DO NOT bring weapons, illegal drugs, candles or valuables
- Smoking IS NOT allowed inside the shelter
- Service animals for the hearing and visually impaired will be allowed in the shelter.
- A rabies vaccination for dogs, cats, and ferrets is required. Please bring your pet’s full vaccination record and a photo of yourself with your pet. If possible, please also bring a 3-day supply of your pet’s food.
- Not allowed: livestock, wildlife, amphibians, reptiles, fish, spiders, or large domesticated birds.
- Animal Services Staff will be on hand to board pets in the best manner possible