What’s a BIKE BOX?
The Town of Chapel Hill has its first bike box.
You’ll see a bright green box at the intersection of West Rosemary and Roberson streets.
It’s designed to give people who ride bicycles a head start when merging into the travel lane where the bike lane ends.
Here’s how it works to improve safety:
- A bike box is a holding location for people on bicycles when stopped at red lights.
- It’s painted in front of the white stop bar where vehicles are required to stop.
- During a red light, the person riding a bicycle should transition from the bike lane into the bike box (in front of motor vehicles).
- When the light turns green, the person riding the bicycle should proceed into the shared travel lane.
- People on bikes should always remain as far right as practicably possible, while avoiding the ‘door zone’ of parked vehicles.
- People in motor vehicles should remain at a safe distance behind the bicycle, unless it is safe to pass (four feet between vehicle and bicycle)
- The shared travel lane transitions back to a separate lane for motor vehicles and a bike lane at the bottom of the hill.
This is the only planned location for a bike box at this time. The Town’s bike/ped staff working group as well as the Transportation and Connectivity Advisory Board are constantly look at ways to improve travel for all modes throughout the town.
Looking for Traffic News?
Visit townofchapelhill.org/traffic. Did you know that traffic advisories may be sent directly to your email? Visit townofchapelhill.org/signup to sign up and check the box "Traffic Advisories." For assistance, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you walk, bike, run and wheel around Chapel Hill? The Town of Chapel Hill is busy with projects to improve your travel safety and convenience – including sidewalks, streets, trails and greenways, traffic calming and more. For more information, visit townofchapelhill.org/gettingaround. And, for a weekly digest of all Town news, sign up for Chapel Hill eNews at townofchapelhill.org/signup or by sending a request to email@example.com.