Varsity Theatre Task Force
- Date: 12/17/2018 8:30 AM
- Location: Varsity Theatre
123 E. Franklin St.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514
The Varsity Theatre Task Force will have its first meeting on Monday, December 17 at 8:30am at the Varsity Theatre (123 E. Franklin St.). The agenda is as follows:
- Approval of Agenda
- Public Comment
- Meeting Topics
- Meeting Ground Rules and Norms
- Meeting Logistics
- Varsity Theatre Today
- Open Forum
Task Force Background:
Public Charge: Consider the possible use of the Varsity Theatre at 123 East Franklin Street as a community performing arts center.
Specific Charge: Determine the following:
- What would be the vision for such a venue? What types of programming would be appropriate and desired by our community?
- How would such a venue meet community needs, reflect community values, and attract a wide range of individuals to the Downtown and what would be the economic impact on the Downtown?
- What would be the costs of this conversion for both acquisition and necessary refurbishment – and how long would it require? How would these costs be paid for and what kinds of partnership(s) might be feasible?
- What would be the business model of the new entity in terms of ownership, ongoing management, and ability to be financially secure and self-sustaining?
Notice is being provided that this meeting, in addition to providing notice for a Mayor/Council Committee, would also constitute a meeting of the Town Council under the open meetings laws if five or more Council members attend. Only recommendations are formulated at committee meetings. Recommendations will be considered at a regular Council meeting for official action by the Council.