Emergency Management Coordinators
Town of Chapel Hill
Get Your Breaking News Here!
WINTER STORM HELENA: Find news and emergency information here. Our crews today are spreading salt and sand, and plowing. See Adverse Weather Map. Monday Morning: Aquatic Center, Community Center, Hargraves and Teen Center will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday. The Library will be open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday. Chapel Hill Transit will operate selected routes starting at 10 a.m. Monday trash collection rescheduled to Wednesday. No recycling collection today.
SIGN UP for emailed news and check out our SOCIAL MEDIA.
Read more about SNOW REMOVAL, including the Adverse Weather Map.
For Town of Chapel Hill EMPLOYEES – Adverse Weather Flier and Adverse Weather Policy
Get alerted about emergencies and other urgent community news by signing up for OC Alerts. Register at member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/signup. To receive assistance signing up by telephone, reach the Town of Chapel Hill at 919-968-2743.
UNC Department of Public Safety Adverse Weather Transportation and Parking Information
Orange County is responsible for establishing emergency shelters due to extreme weather and power outages. For more information, visit orangecountync.gov/departments/emergency_services/disaster_emergency_preparedness.
- Duke Energy Carolinas
Report a power outage: 1-800-PowerOn (English) or 1-866-4-APAGON (Spanish).
- Piedmont Electric
pemc.org or 800-222-3107
- PSNC Energy
psncenergy.com or 877-776-2427
919-968-4421 or owasa.org or email@example.com
Chapel Hill Transit
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 919-9627-8211 or chccs.k12.nc.us or twitter.com/chccs
- Orange County Schools: 919-732-8126 or orangecountyfirst.com or twitter.com/OrangeCoSchools
Resources in Orange County
- Chapel Hill: 919-968-2743 or townofchapelhill.org or twitter.com/chapelhillgov
- Carrboro: 919-942-8541 or townofcarrboro.org or twitter.com/carrborotowngov
- Hillsborough: 919-732-1270 or ci.hillsborough.nc.us or twitter.com/HillsboroughGov
- Orange County Emergency Services: 919-245-6100 or during emergencies 919-245-6111
readyorange.org and twitter.com/ocncemergency
- Orange County Health Department: 919-245-2400 or orangecountync.gov/health or twitter.com/OrangeHealthNC
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 919-962-2211 or unc.edu or 843-1234 (Weather Hotline) or alertcarolina.unc.edu
American Red Cross
State and National Resources
- Ready North Carolina: readync.org
- OR in Spanish: readync.org en espanol
- National Weather Service: http://www.weather.gov/
- OR in Spanish: erh.noaa.gov/rah/espanol
Do you live in a floodplain?
If you live in a floodplain or an area that floods, purchase flood insurance! Homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage. There is a 30-day waiting period from the time an insurance policy is purchased to when it actually goes into effect. Renters can purchase affordable flood insurance for personal contents only. For more information and cost, contact your insurance agent or go to floodsmart.gov.