Status: No longer active. This plan has been superseded by the Chapel Hill Bike Plan.
On October 24, 2004 The Town Council adopted the Bicycle and Pedestrian Action Plan as a component of the Town’s Comprehensive Plan. The Action Plan is a long-range plan which identifies proposed new and improved bicycle and pedestrian facilities for the Town. It identifies a strategy to implement the plan and also a number of education and encouragement actions to improve conditions and facilities for walking and bicycling as a means of transportation.
General public interest purposes
The general public interest purposes implicit in this Bicycle and Pedestrian Action Plan are:
- To promote public health and safety, access to community facilities and businesses for all, regardless of age, physical capacity, weather conditions and time of day, and to promote diverse modes of transportation.
Purpose of the Plan:
- To increase bicycle and pedestrian use,
- To identify a potential network of bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and
- To identify methods of creating it.
Objectives of the Plan:
- To identify locations for improved facilities or engineering improvements which:
- To identify actions which promote walking and bicycling through education and encouragement.
- To outline an implementation strategy for the actions identified in the action plan.
Bike and Pedestrian Action Plan
Map 1. First Priority Sidewalks
Map 2. Second Priority Sidewalks
Map 3. Third Priority Sidewalks
Map 4. Long Range Sidewalks
Appendix 1 (pdf) Plan and Policy Context
Appendix 2 (pdf) Extract from Town of Chapel Hill Traffic Code
Appendix 3 (pdf) 2006-2012 Transportation Priority List
Appendix 4 (pdf) Action Plan Sidewalks Priority List
Appendix 5 (pdf) Bicycle Facilities Policy
Appendix 6 (pdf) Pedestrian Zones
For more information, please contact Ryan Mickles in the Planning Department at 919-968-2728.