Residential Building Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Forms for All Permits

Residential Zoning-Building Permit Application

One Application for all Single and Two Family Projects


 Recyclable Materials Form

Do I Need A Permit?

 The following residential work requires a permit:

  • Any work exceeding $15,000
  • Any structural work
  • Most foundation and roof work
  • Most electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work
  • Expanding the building envelope or conditioned space

*Contact us if you are unsure if a permit is required*

Click here to view the North Carolina General Statute for permit information.

Forms for Some Permits

Do I Need a Zoning Review?

 Zoning Review and a Site Plan and/or a floor plan is required for the following:

  • Increase in building footprint / additions
  • Increase in impervious surface area
  • Exterior work in or near a Special Protection Area 
  • New Bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens or projects that increase conditioned area

Building Permit Resources 


Residential Zoning Thresholds


Regular (5 days)

Express (<5 days)

Minor (Same day)


Units in square feet

Impervious surface (ISA) > 1500

Land Disturbance (LD) > 5000

In/near Special Protection Area

ISA 500 to 1500

LD 1500 to 5000

Grading / new foundation

ISA <500

LD <1500

No grading

Examples of Work

New Houses

Large Additions

Large hardscape / grading

Small Additions

New Accessory Dwellings

New Driveway, Garages

Decks, Porches, Patios, Sunrooms. Finishing unfinished attic / basement.

Site Plan Checklist


Example Site Plans

Regular Checklist Regular Site Plan
Express Checklist 1 Express Checklist 1 detial pencil

More Zoning Resources


Combined Residential Zoning-Building Process


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site