Development Projects: Application Forms

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Have questions? Or need a form/application not listed here? Contact staff at the Development Services Center in the Office of Planning and Sustainability at 919-969-5066 or


Development Application Forms
>>Note: Download desired forms to your personal computer and save as.<<


In the chart below, applications are organized alphabetically by application type.

Application Type

Approval Body


Admin Zoning Compliance Permit  Staff  Commercial Zoning Compliance Permit Application for projects under 2500 square feet in size. Projects approved by a Site Plan Review or Special Use Permit should use the  Final Plans Zoning Compliance Permit Application.
Appeal Application Board of Adjustment Appeals may be considered by the Board of Adjustment for decisions made by Town staff in the administration of the Land Use Management Ordinance. Decisions of the Planning Commission, Community Design Commission, and Historic District Commission may also be appealed.
Concept Plan Application Council, Community Design Commission, or Historic District Commission

The purpose of submitting a concept plan application is to provide an opportunity for the Town Council, Boards/Commissions, Town Manager and staff, and the community to review and consider major development proposals and their potential benefits and impacts. 


Please note: Due to the high volume of concept plan submittals, it may be 2 – 6 months before new submittals can be heard by advisory boards and the Town Council.  Please contact Kay Pearlstein for more information 919-696-5063. Last updated 10-21-16

Final Plan Application - CDC/HDC (Elevations, Lighting, or Landscape Buffer Approval Application) Community Design Commission (and Historic District Commission) Final Plan Applications are typically reviewed by the Community Design Commission (or Historic District Commission if project is in a Historic District) when required as a condition of approval of a Special Use Permit, Site Plan Review, or other development approval. Changes to non-residential building facades may require CDC Elevation approval.
Final Plan Application - ZCP Administrative (Staff) Required for development of an approved Special Use Permit, site plan approval, and subdivisions.
Front Yard Parking Exception   Planning Commission  For Northside and Pine Knolls Neighborhood Conservation Districts. 
 Jordan Buffer Authorization Staff   For projects occurring within the Jordan Lake Riparian Buffer and the use or activity is listed as allowable with or without mitigation in Section 5.18 of the Land Use Management Ordinance
Jordan Buffer Exemption  Staff For minor projects occurring within the Jordan Lake Riparian Buffer and the use or activity is listed as exempt in Section 5.18 of the Land Use Management Ordinance
Major Subdivision (Preliminary Plat) Application Council The Major Subdivision approval procedure involves Town Council approval of a Preliminary Plat and Town Manager approval of a final plat.
Major & Minor Subdivision Applications (Final Plat) Administrative (Staff) Both Major and Minor Subdivisions are subject to a final administrative plat approval.
Master Land Use Plan Application, including modifications Council These applications describe the general intent and system of development. Illustrates and defines land use areas for residential, office, commercial, open space, and special facilities or other land uses.
Minor Subdivision Application Planning Commission The Planning Commission's shall consider applications involving the subdivision of land.
Minor Subdivision Application - Commercial Administrative (Staff) Commercial Minor Subdivisions are approved administratively by staff. Generally succeeds a Special Use Permit case.
Minor Subdivision Application - Townhouse Administrative (Staff) Townhouse Minor Subdivisions are approved administratively by staff after an approved Minor or Major Subdivision, or Special Use Permit.
Northside/Pine Knolls Site Plan Application Planning Commission Required for all projects proposing more than 250 square feet of floor area and/or demolitions in the Northside or Pine Knolls Neighborhood Conservation District.
Northside/Pine Knolls Vehicle Exception Application  Administrative (Staff) Required for an exception to the four vehicle maximum per zoning lot regulation. Note: Exception only applies to duplexes and triplexes.
Plat Application - form for all types Administrative (Staff) Plats for Boundary Survey, Condominium, Easements, Exempt, Recombination, and Right-of-Way Dedications.
Resource Conservation District Encroachment  Staff  Required for work occurring within the Resource Conservation District.
Sign Applications  Staff  
Site Plan Review Application including Modifications Planning Commission Required for certain uses and developments. See the Land Use Management Ordinance, Section 4.7 for details.
Solid Waste Management Plan Form - Orange County Administrative (Staff) Provides a detailed solid waste management plan, including a recycling plan and a plan for management of construction debris. Note: Required only when listed as submittal requirement on application.
Special Use Permit Application Council Required for certain uses and developments that require special review. See the Land Use Management Ordinance, Section 4.5 for details.
Special Use Permit Application, Minor Change Administrative (Staff) or Council Required for minor changes and extensions to a Special Use Permit, should the proposed action be determined to be a modification. See the Land Use Management Ordinance, Section 4.5.5 for details.
UNC Development Plan Application Council Provides a guide for general size and location of new facilities, parking, utilities, stormwater management, impervious surface, and access/circulation.
UNC Site Development Permit Application (OI-4) Administrative (Staff) Required for the construction of specific buildings described in the University's Development Plan.
UNC Site Development Permit Application (U-1) Administrative (Staff) Required for the construction of specific buildings described in the Carolina North Development Agreement.
Variance Application for all types Board of Adjustment Variances and Appeals may be granted by the Board of Adjustment for dimensional regulations, water and sewer regulations, steep slope regulations, house size limitations, and other regulations.
Zoning Atlas Amendment Application Council Zoning Amendments may only be made as is reasonably necessary to the promotion of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and in conformance with the comprehensive plan.
Zoning Letter Request Administrative (Staff) Send email with a list of requested information to




Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site