|Have questions or ideas?
Please let us know if you have questions, concerns, or thoughts. We'd like to hear from you and welcome your feedback.
Contact: Megan Wooley,
Community Sustainability Planner
If you would like to be added to the Obey Creek email distribution list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Add to email distribution list."
This webpage provides information about the Obey Creek development agreement process.
What is Obey Creek?
Obey Creek is a proposed mixed-use development that, if approved, would be located across South 15-501 from Southern Village.
Click here for the site plan - last revised March 2015.
The proposed Obey Creek development is using the new Development Agreement process approved by Council in March 2013. For more information about the proposed concept for the Obey Creek development, click here.
On November 3, 2014, the Town Council voted to move forward into the negotiation phase with East West Partners.
What is being considered for the Obey Creek site?
Click here for the site plan (last revised: March 2015).
Four items are being considered for the Obey Creek site:
- Development Agreement - The Council and the applicant (East West Partners) are currently involved in a negotiation about possible development at the Obey Creek site. For a copy of the current draft of the Obey Creek development agreement, click here.
- Amendment to the Land Use Management Ordinance - A text amendment to the Land Use Management Ordinance (LUMO) is being considered which would create a new zoning district called "Development Agreement-1" (DA-1).
- Proposed rezoning of a portion of the Obey Creek site - East West Partners has applied for a rezoning of a portion of the Obey Creek site to Development Agreement-1. (This area is currently zoned Low Density Residential-1 and Neighborhood Commercial.) For a map of the proposed area to be rezoned, click here. For the rezoning application, click here.
- Land decision - The Town owns a parcel of land that is located within the proposed Obey Creek development; for a map, click here.
Draft Development Agreement and Exhibits
Below is the most recent version of the draft Obey Creek development agreement and exhibits. As new versions are available, these will be posted below with revision dates.
- Draft Obey Creek Development Agreement - Last revised: April 16, 2015 (For past versions, click here.)
- Exhibit A: Boundary Map of the Property - coming soon
- Exhibit B: The Village at Obey Creek Design Guidelines - Last revised: April 6, 2015
- Exhibit C: Restoration Area Map
- Exhibit D: Legal Description of the Property - coming soon
- Exhibit E: Development Compliance Permit Application - coming soon
- Exhibit F: Proposed Crossing for Oteys Road
- Exhibit G: Southern Chapel Hill Bicycle and Pedestrian Connectivity Map
- Exhibit H: Wilson Creek Preserve Boundary
- Exhibit I: Diagram of South Columbia/ US 15-501 Fordham Boulevard Interchange Restriping
The following is a list of upcoming meetings in the Obey Creek development agreement process.
- April 30, 2015 at 7:00pm - Special Meeting - Council conversation with the Board and Commission members about the Obey Creek development agreement
May 18, 2015 at 7:00pm - Public Hearing (tentative) - Opportunity for public comment on the draft development agreement, proposed LUMO text amendment, and proposed rezoning
June 8, 2015 at 7:00pm - Council Business Meeting (tentative) - Possible enactment of the draft development agreement, proposed LUMO text amendment, and proposed rezoning
Location Note: Unless otherwise noted, all of the following meetings will be held in the Council Chamber at Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill, 27514.
Meeting Materials and Reports
For links to the meeting materials for the current Obey Creek development agreement process, click here.
Questions and Responses
The following document provides responses to questions asked by the public during the December 8, 2014 Special Meeting and additional frequently asked questions.
- Questions and Responses about the Obey Creek development agreement negotiation process - Last revised: January 7, 2015
Phase I and Phase II Materials
For more information about Phase I and Phase II of the Obey Creek development agreement process, click here.
Technical Team Contracts for Post Phase I - Obey Creek
Resources and Additional Information
- The Technical Team's Phase I report can be accessed here.
- For more information related to the Obey Creek Compass Committee, click here.
- Click here for resources and additional information on Obey Creek, the development agreement process and other pertinent information.
- Click here for more information about the 2010 and 2012 Concept Plans submitted by East West Partners prior to the entering the Development Agreement process
- For more information about the North-South Corridor Study, click here.
- For more information about the possible redevelopment of the Southern Village Park and Ride Lot Area, click here.