Do I Need a Residential Building Permit?
The following residential work requires a permit:
- Any work exceeding $15,000
- Any structural work
- Most foundation and roof work
- Most electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work
- Expanding the building envelope or conditioned space
Do I need a zoning review?
If any of the conditions below are part of a Residential Zoning-Building Permit application, a Zoning Compliance Permit is required. Please discuss with Planning staff in Development Services if you are unsure.
- 500 s.f. or more of impervious surface;
- 1,500 s.f. or more of land disturbance;
- Grading or filling;
- 5 feet or less from the Resource Conservation District or Jordan Riparian Buffer boundaries;
- Encroachment into the 100-year floodplain;
- Encroachment into steep slopes per LUMO Section 5.3.2 (400 s.f. or greater of slopes 15% or greateR);
- Inside the Historic District; or
- Adding an accessory dwelling unit.
There are multiple ways to apply for a permit! You can apply for a permit either in person or by submitting your documents via e-mail. You also have the option of using our online permitting system to submit your permits.
1. Download Application Forms
You may download applications forms and submit them in electronic format or in person to Development Services.
- Download the Checklist and Residential Zoning-Building Permit. ✔
- Download the required Recyclable Materials Form. ✔
- Use the table below to determine which review schedule applies to your project and which additional application materials are needed: ▼
2. Online Permitting
You can access our online permitting system here.
|Required Specifications||Example Projects||Site Plan Checklist||Example Documents|
Impervious surface (ISA) > 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) > 5000 sq. ft.
In/near Special Protection Area
Large hardscape / grading
|Regular Site Plan Example|
|Express Review (< 5 days)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) 500 to 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) 1500 to 5000 sq. ft.
Grading / new foundation
New Accessory Dwellings
New Driveways, Garages
|Express Site Plan Checklist|
|Exempt Review (same day)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) <500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD)<1500 sq. ft.
Decks, Porches, Patios, Sunrooms.
Finishing unfinished attic / basement.
- Change of Contractor Form
- Worker's Compensation Affidavit
- Certificate(s) of Insurance are required per NCGS87-14 and NCGS97
- Owner Exemption Affidavit
- Scope of Work
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms Information
- Inspections Expectations and Reminders
- Historic District COA Application and Requirements
- Inspections Procedures
- Instructions for Detailed Scope of Work
- Lien Holder Certification (LiensNC.com)
- Lien Law Guidelines
- Special Protection Areas
- Residential Energy Certificate
- Water Heater Information