All residential permit requests can now be completed using the new Online Permitting Services tool.
Do I Need a Residential Building Permit?
The following residential work requires a permit:
- Any work exceeding $15,000
- Any structural work
- Most foundation and roof work
- Most electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work
- Expanding the building envelope or conditioned space
Do I need a zoning review?
Zoning Review and a Site Plan and/or a floor plan is required for the following:
- Increase in building footprint / additions
- Increase in impervious surface area
- Exterior work in or near a Special Protection Area
- New Bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens or projects that increase conditioned area
There are two different ways to apply for a permit. Read below to find the right option for you.
1. Online Permitting Services
Online Permitting provides one online application for all one and two family residential projects.
2. Download Application Forms
If you choose not to use the Online Permitting Services, you may also download applications forms and submit them in electronic format to Development Services.
|Required Specifications||Example Projects||Site Plan Checklist||Example Documents|
Impervious surface (ISA) > 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) > 5000 sq. ft.
In/near Special Protection Area
Large hardscape / grading
|Regular Site Plan Example|
|Express Review (< 5 days)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) 500 to 1500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD) 1500 to 5000 sq. ft.
Grading / new foundation
New Accessory Dwellings
New Driveways, Garages
|Express/Minor Site Checklist|
|Minor Review (same day)||
Impervious Surface (ISA) <500 sq. ft.
Land Disturbance (LD)<1500 sq. ft.
Decks, Porches, Patios, Sunrooms.
Finishing unfinished attic / basement.
- Change of Contractor Form
- Worker's Compensation Affidavit
- Certificate(s) of Insurance are required per NCGS87-14 and NCGS97