Friday, March 30 is a Town Holiday

Most municipal offices will be closed. Yard waste will not be collected. Chapel Hill Transit will operate on Saturday schedules with no U or NU service. Chapel Hill Public Library will be open March 30 and closed Sunday, April 1. Read more.

Building Permits

Residential Zoning-Building Permits

Commercial Building Permits

Sub Permits


A Residential Zoning-Building Permit is for use on single family and two family home building and building addition projects. 

A Commercial Building Permit is intended for any commercial building projects, multi-family projects (more than 2 units).

A Sub Permit is required for the installation, extension, repair, or alteration of any plumbing system, heating or cooling equipment system, electrical wiring, appliances or equipment that does not require new buildings or additions.


Additional Information




View Full Site