The Old Chapel Hill Cemetery lies in the heart of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, on the corner of Country Club and South Roads, near the main campus of UNC.
The site was part of a land grant given by the State of North Carolina in 1796 to develop the University, and the cemetery originally served as a final resting place for University faculty and students.
These days the cemetery is maintained by the Town of Chapel Hill. As part of an extensive restoration project, the Town has commissioned an archival project to gather, preserve and make available documents relating to the history of the cemetery.
- Learn more about the history of the cemetery.
- Search our database of interments by last name.
- Locate specific interments using this map.
- Expand your research with other sources.
Town of Chapel Hill
Cemetery Database Information Disclaimer
Unless otherwise specifically stated, the information contained herein is made available to the public by the Town of Chapel Hill for use as research material and may not accurately or fully reflect the actual facts, circumstances, and conditions existing at any particular site. The intent is to provide the viewer with full information and historical data on the cemeteries managed by the Town of Chapel Hill including the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery, the Chapel Hill Memorial Cemetery, the Barbee-Hargraves Cemetery and the West Chapel Hill Cemetery, as that information and data are known by the Town, to assist an individual conducting research.
Neither the Town of Chapel Hill nor any officer, employee, agency or entities thereof, assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information disclosed.