The Town maintains four cemeteries:
Barbee-Hargraves Cemetery at the cul-de-sac on Greenwood Road. It occupies one-quarter acre and was used to bury slaves that worked on a former plantation that was located nearby. [Map]
Chapel Hill Memorial Cemetery between Fordham Blvd. (US-15-501 Business) and Legion Road, west of Scarlett Drive. [Map]
The Old Chapel Hill Cemetery (circa 1776) on the corner of Country Club and South Roads is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The earliest gravestone in the cemetery is that of a university student who died in 1798. [Map]
- The Jay Street Cemetery (aka West Chapel Hill Cemetery) near Village Drive and Jay Street adjacent to the Village West neighborhood. [Map]
Cemetery plots are for sale by the Town only in Memorial Cemetery (see Parks & Recreation Fee Schedule). For information on prices and related items, please call Parks and Recreation Department at 919-968-2738. (Plots in the Jay Street Cemetery and the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery are no longer sold by the Town but may be available from private owners.) The Cemeteries Advisory Board makes recommendations on care and improvements.
The Parks and Recreation also keeps the Town’s records related to all of these cemeteries.