Confidential • Informal • Impartial • Independent
When you don’t know where to turn, the Ombuds Office may assist you.
Town of Chapel Hill Ombuds
308 W. Rosemary St., Suite 202
(between Pantana Bob’s and Breadman’s)
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Senior Ombuds: Jim Huegerich
Ombuds: Faith Thompson
- Ombuds Report 3rd Quarter 2014
- Ombuds Annual Report FY 2013-14
- Ombuds Quarterly Report: September 2013
- Ombuds Quarterly Report: July 2013
Employees come to the Ombuds office for many reasons. Sometimes visitors want to talk. Some are reluctant to go through formal channels. Some just don’t know where else to go. And some have tried other ways to get help but have not found what they need.
The Ombuds will provide a safe place for all employees to share their concerns and explore strategies for CONFIDENTIAL, informal management or resolution of issues and matters. We will provide an outlet for delicate questions and difficult issues to be addressed in an informal, secure and discreet manner.
How we can best help you help yourself:
- Role-play through a situation
- Provide training about difficult issues
- Provide information, assistance and referrals
- Help analyze complex and difficult problems
- Explore non-adversarial approaches for resolving concerns
- Serve as a feedback mechanism for organizational climate issues
- Assist personnel in obtaining an explanation or clarification of polices and procedures
- Identify complaint patterns and trends
- Offer a confidential, informal sounding board
- Address issues at the most appropriate level
Limits of Ombuds
- Advocate for any individual
- Conduct formal investigations
- Serve as a witness or testify in a formal proceeding
- Accept or provide official notice of an alleged violation
- Make the decision for you
- Offer legal advice
- Offer psychological counseling
- Serve to put the Town on notice of any claim
- Share your information with anyone
- Force you to do anything
Arrange a Meeting
We will arrange a confidential meeting at a time and place convenient and safe for all parties. We believe we can be most effective if we meet with you, but if you prefer, we will work with you over the telephone. We do not do our work through email and discourage you from sending any confidential information through email.
For more information about the Town’s Ombuds Program, to schedule a meeting, or to have the Ombuds visit your department, please call 919-265-0806.
Ombuds Professional Standards
The International Ombudsman Association (IOA) is the largest international organization of organizational Ombuds practitioners in the world, representing over 500 members from the United States and across the globe
Chapel Hill Ombuds are members of IOA and practice according to the IOA Code of Ethics and IOA Standards of Practice.