Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
If you need to talk with someone about personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact your job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being, call 1-800-326-3864 or visit bhsonline.com. EAP provides assistance with counselors who are not employed by the Town of Chapel Hill and will provide confidential services.
Health insurance is effective the first day of employment. The Town currently pays 100% of the cost for full time employees and a portion of the cost for dependent coverage. Insurance is available for part time employees. The amount paid depends upon the number of hours worked.
Retirement Health Savings Plan
Employees hired after June 30, 2010, in a regular full-time or regular part-time position are required to participate in the Retirement Health Savings Plan. Contributions are taken on a pre-tax basis. The current contribution amount is 1%.
Dental insurance is optional and is paid for by the employee. Coverage for eligible dependents is also available.
Paid Time Off
- Vacation/Annual Leave: Employees in regular full or part time positions earn between 12 and 26 days per year depending upon length of Town service.
- Sick Leave: Employees in full or part time regular positions earn 12 days per year.
- Paid Holidays: There are 11 official Town holidays. Employees in full or part time regular positions are eligible for paid holiday time.
- Funeral Leave: All employees in full or part time regular positions are granted 3 days of funeral leave per year. This leave is non-cumulative
Local Government Retirement System
All employees in regular full or part time position are required to contribute to the retirement system. Contributions are taken on a pre-tax basis. The current contribution amount is 6%.
Supplemental Retirement Plans
- NC 401(k)-The Town makes a contribution of 5% to the 401(k) for all regular full and part time employees. There is no employee match required. Employees have the option of making contributions on a pre or post tax basis. The plan is administered by Prudential.
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan-Town of Chapel Hill employees have the option of making contributions to a 457. The Town does not make contributions to this plan. The plan is administered by ICMA.
- Town Provided: The Town provides both short term and long term disability insurance to all regular full or part time employees. The plan will pay up to 50% of the employee’s base income for non-job related injuries.
- Voluntary Short Term Disability: Employees have the option of purchasing supplemental disability insurance. This plan will pay employees a maximum of 25% of their base weekly earnings up to $400.
The Town provides full and part time regular employees with an individual term life insurance policy. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance for a small fee. Dependent life insurance is also available.
All employees hired after July 1, 2007 are required to have direct deposit.
- Credit Union: Employees of the Town of Chapel Hill are eligible to open accounts at the Local Government Federal Credit Union.
- Parking is provided free of charge at or near worksites
- Annual longevity payment beginning with the 5th year of full or part time regular employment
- Tuition assistance is available upon completion of the initial probationary period