Am I Eligible?
Public Housing Families meeting the following criteria are eligible:
- Family has sufficient income to pay at least a $450 monthly rent plus utilities
- Monthly rent has been paid by the date rent is due
- No lease violations by any family member in the past 12 months
- Family’s goal is to live in private market housing, either as an owner or renter
What Are the Program Incentives?
Incentives for participation include:
- Families rent will not increase although families’ income may increase
- Twenty percent (20%) of the monthly rent will be deposited into an escrow account
- Amount deposited in escrow account is given to participants when they leave program
How Can I Use the Money in The Escrow Account?
Money in the escrow account must be used in two ways:
- Down payment on a home
- Deposits for private rental housing may be considered
What Is the Application Process?
After receipt of application, the following process takes place:
- Application is reviewed to determine eligibility
- Eligible or denial letter is mailed
- If eligible, application is placed in selection pool according to date and time application was received
- If selected, applicant is mailed a letter of consideration
- Applicant is interviewed
- Applicant attends orientation to review program requirements and lease agreement
How Long Can I Stay in the Program and What Happens When That Time is Up?
The maximum time you can stay in the program is 5 years. If you are still in the transition home after 5 years, two changes occur:
- You will begin paying a market rate rent (your rent will increase)
- Part of your rent will stop going into the savings account
What Am I Committing To?
Commitment to the program means that you are agreeing to the following:
- Within 5 years, you will be living in your own home or in other private housing arrangements.
- Meet monthly with housing staff and local agencies to participate in the following:
- Budget Counseling
- Homeownership Counseling
- Debt Management Counseling
- Basic Home Maintenance Information