The Council authorizes through resolution (95-4-24/R-11c) [as found in the 04-24-1995 minutes, Item#9] registration or dissolution of domestic partners as follows:
- Registration may occur in the Communications and Public Affairs Department contact 919-968-2743 or email@example.com for an appointment
- Each domestic partner affirms their partnership by signature in the presence of a Town employee who is a notary public.
- The fee for registrations or dissolutions shall be $50.
- The process takes about 15 minutes.
How does the Town define Domestic Partners?
- The Council enacted an ordinance (95-4-24/O-8a) recognizing “Domestic partners. Two individuals who have reached the age of majority and live together in a long-term relationship of indefinite duration, with an exclusive mutual commitment in which the partners share the necessities of life and are financially interdependent. Also, domestic partners are not married to anyone else, do not have another domestic partner and are not related by blood more closely than would bar their marriage in this State.”
Other Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do we both need to come in to the Department? Yes.
- What do we need to bring with us? Photo Identification for each person, and Registration fee ($50)
- What are the benefits to registering as a Domestic Partner? The benefit would depend on the recognition by a third-party.