NOTICE FOR ALL APPLICANTS
- The following schedule of permit fees is applicable to the Chapel Hill zoning jurisdiction.
- Building permit fees are based on the cost of construction.
- For all permits, the General Contractor of record is responsible for paying all permit fees.
- All fees shall be paid in order to receive a Certificate of Occupancy and final power.
Publically Assisted Housing Units
- Building permits proposed to be assisted through conventional Public Housing (Section 8, 101, 235), Community Development Block Grant funding as well as through the NC Housing Finance and other recognized forms of subsidy, are exempted from permit fees. In projects where assisted units comprise only a portion of the total number of units, the fee is reduced by the percentage of the total number of units that are assisted. Permit fees are waived for all Town of Chapel Hill permits. This does not apply to every non-profit organization applying for permits.
- All additional inspections made necessary due to failure to comply with applicable code requirements shall be hereby designated as "re-inspections" and carry a re-inspection fee of $60 each for every permit type listed in this fee schedule.
- Sub-permits are ineligible for refunds.
- Active residential building permits may receive refunds of the permit cost (minus the non-refundable administrative review fee) after permit issuance provided no inspections have occurred and all original paperwork is returned to the Building Division.
- The minimum charge for processing residential permit refunds is $75.00
- Active commercial permits may receive refunds of the permit cost (minus the non-refundable administrative review fee and any plan review fees) after permit issuance provided no inspections have occurred and all original paperwork is returned to the Building Division.
- The minimum charge for processing commercial permit refunds is $100.00
- No refunds will be issued beyond six months from the date of permit issuance for any permit.
After-The-Fact Work without Permits
- If any person commences any work on a building or service system before FIRST obtaining the required permit(s), that person shall be subject to DOUBLE permit fees unless the Manager or his/her designee finds mitigating circumstances. See current policy for more details about the permit process.
Orange County School Impact Fees
- Orange County School Impact Fees are no longer assessed effective June 20, 2017 due to repeal of statutory authorization.
Orange County Recyclable Materials Fee
- As of July 1, 2008, an 8% Orange County recyclable materials fee shall be charged on all permits issued in Orange County. The 8% will be based on total permit fees.
Administrative Review Fee
This is an upfront, non-refundable fee due at the time of submission that will be charged on all permits, but applied towards Final Permit Fees due.
|Up to $20,000||$50|
|$20,001 - $50,000||$100|
|$50,001 - $500,000||$500|
|More than $500,000||
|$100 - $5,000||$55|
|$5,001 - $20,000||$100|
|$20,001 - $50,000||$10 per $1,000|
|$50,001 - $500,000||Base fee of $500 plus $4.50/$1,000 over $50,001|
|$500,001 and up||Base fee of $2,500 plus $3.50/$1,000 over $500,001|
Miscellaneous Building Fees
|Signs||$50 for each sign plus trade fees|
|Mobile Homes||$250 including trade fees|
|Construction Trailers||$150 including trade fees|
|Insulation (per housing unit or proposed # of inspections)||$60
|Accessory structures, screen porches, roofs, pergolas, covered decks, uncovered decks, swimming pools||Cost of Construction plus trade fees|
|Permit Reactivation (See current policy for details)|
|Type of work||Within Town Limits||Outside Town Limits|
Single Meter (regardless of size)
This fee will cover the addition, alteration, or changes to any new or existing single meter or its components
|Read in / Read out (per inspection)||$100||$100|
|Type*||Within Town Limits||Outside Town Limits|
|All appliances, equipment or connections (each); ductwork||$35||$65|
|Heat Pump / Gas Pack||$70||$135|
|Geothermal (each system)||$70||$135|
|Hood System (per inspection/permit)||$70||$70|
|Type||Within Town Limits||Outside Town Limits|
|Per Fixture (in excess of five fixtures)||$10||$15|
For multiple units, this fee is charged per unit.
|Sewer Connection / Irrigation System||$50||$55|
|Grease Trap / Oil Interceptor||$60||$65|
|Piping (whole house piping)||$100||$150|
|Change of Contractor / Info (applies each time a contractor or information is changed after permit application submission)||$110|
|Business Occupancy (applies to new or relocation of any occupancy type related to a commercial business except child / daycare)||$180|
|Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (applies to each TCO issued per permit with a 30 day maximum time period)||
|Occupancy Reposting (new or existing without active building permits)||$80|
|Day Care Facilities Inspection (applies to any child-care facility)||$285|
|Food Truck/TrailerVendor - Code Administration Fee||$200 / year|
|Semi-Annual Electrical School Inspections (one hour increments only, due at time of inspection request)||$100/hour|
|Demolition Permit (per structure)||$150|
|Antenna / Tower / Utility / Cellular / Solar (includes fees for all work related to Building, Electrical, and Plan Review)||$350|
|Sidewalk Dining Annual review and permit renewal||$50|
|Homeowner's Recovery Fund (State mandated fee for all residential permits with an associated licensed General Contractor)||$10|
|Temporary Power (per permit)||$100|
|ORIAS (After-hour / Weekend Service Request - upfront payment for minimum of 2 hours per request)||$85 / hour|
|Permit Conferences Series with Staff - Large Projects Only (up front payment required)||$6,000|
|Records Research request, charged at 1 hour minimum||$60/hour + copy fees for hard copies|
|Copy fees||As set by Council townwide|
|Walkthru Inspection*||$60 per inspection|
*This inspection applies to permitted work only and can only be done when initiated or approved by Town Supervisory or Management Staff.
Less than 4,000 square feet
4,000 - 15,000 square feet
15,001 - 40,000 square feet
40,001 square feet and greater
|4,000 - 15,000 square feet||$185|
|15,001 - 40,000 square feet||$590|
|40,001 square feet and greater||$1,420|
|Resubmission Review Fee, charged at 1 hour minimum (on initial permit review, permit fees cover the first resubmission)||Additional $100 per hour|
Building Valuation Data Table
(For the current Building Valuation Data table, see www.iccsafe.org)
For Use in Determining Minimum Total Valuation for Building Permit Fee Calculations
The BVD table provides the “average” construction costs per square foot, which can be used in determining permit fees for a jurisdiction. Permit fee schedules are addressed in Section 109.2 of the most current International Building Code (IBC) whereas Section 109.3 addresses building permit valuations. The permit fees can be established by using the BVD table and a Permit Fee Multiplier, which is based on the total construction
value within the jurisdiction for the past year. The Square Foot Construction Cost table presents factors that reflect relative value of one construction classification/occupancy group to another so that more expensive construction is assessed greater permit fees than less expensive construction.
The BVD is not intended to apply to alterations or repairs to existing buildings. Because the scope of alterations or repairs to an existing building varies so greatly, the Square Foot Construction Costs Table does not reflect accurate values for that purpose. However, the Square Foot Construction Costs Table can be used to determine the cost of an addition that is basically a stand-alone building which happens to be attached to an existing building. In the case of such additions, the only alterations to the existing building would involve the attachment of the addition to the existing building and the openings between the addition and the existing building.
Determination of Total Valuation. For purposes of determining fees, total valuation shall be either the actual contract price or an applicable amount based on the total square footage of the structure to be built, multiplied by the square foot cost data prescribed on the attached Building Valuation Data Table which is a part of this fee schedule, whichever is greater.